The best VPNs for Kodi: 5 popular + 5 free
The overwhelming number of free VPN services represents the nightmare in terms of security and restrictions bypassing.
It’s easy to answer:
- The level of security of such free VPNs is far from ideal.
- Some free VPN providers store user data for the purpose of further selling it to advertisers (like ISPs do).
- Slow server speed because they are overloaded with users.
- Limited number of facilities (lack of kill switch, split tunneling and so on).
- They can’t unblock services and addons.
Nevertheless, there are still good paid and free VPNs to use.
The best VPNs for Kodi:
|From $3.49 per month. The best VPN for Kodi|
|From $1.99 per month. VPN for Kodi with an excellent price|
|From $2.75 per month. Movie torrenting through Kodi|
|$8.32 per month. High speed for Kodi|
|$2.05 per month. Servers in 30 countries to use with Kodi|
Free VPNs for Kodi (with some restrictions):
|From to 2 GB to 15 GB per month|
|7-day trial version + a free limited plan|
|500 MB or 1000 MB for free monthly|
|2 GB traffic per month|
|From 200 to 300 MB per day|
Numerous streaming services block VPNs: both free and paid. And nowadays, it is an uphill struggle to find a free VPN provider that would work with services like Netflix, Hulu, HBO, but still, lots of VPN providers do work for streaming.
Kodi is the way-out. Being an open source cross-platform media player, Kodi makes it possible to create your own library that would contain the best content. And there is no need to stream via blocked services.
Don’t miss it!
Having installed some additional Kodi addons, you’ll get access to the best services using only one application.
There is no need to open numerous sites and apps, create usernames and passwords, pay for subscription. Kodi will do it instead of you (except payment for sure).
Do I need VPN for Kodi?
There is no doubt!
Kodi gained its popularity thanks to free access to streaming movies, music and so on. This access is not always legal.
For example, Kodi is considered to be unlawful in the UK according to the “Copyright, Design and Patent Act” (1988).
If a Kodi addon is blocked in your country, you need a VPN.
The best free VPN for Kodi unblocks restricted for your region addons and gets access to sites you like.
Unfortunately, we are not well-informed in the sphere of legislation. As a result, sometimes Kodi users stream pirated content without knowing it.
In order not to be punished for such activity, it’s better to subscribe for a free VPN service. It will help to conceal your IP address. So, you won’t be subjected to illegal activity via your Kodi account.
To cut a long story short, the combination of Kodi and a VPN is fantastic.
Five best VPN services for Kodi
This list is made on the basis of technical features analysis, practical tests and feedback of real Kodi users who use it through VPN.
All five services listed here are paid ones.
Unfortunately, there are no free VPNs which provide their users with such kinds of services as unlimited traffic and speed. You can forget about limits and feel safe only with a paid VPN.
So, let’s start!
1. NordVPN: The best VPN for Kodi
NordVPN allows you to unblock geo-restricted content without a hitch and makes the use of Kodi 100% anonymous and safe. The basic features of this service are modern technologies of hiding your IP address, including the protection of IP leaking, the strong traffic encryption and “No logging” policy.
Perhaps, I haven’t used such a user-friendly app before at other providers. Moreover, it is suitable for every device. You can use one subscription to install NordVPN on 6 devices simultaneously. So, you can use it not only for Kodi but also for other tasks:
- Protect your devices and personal data using public Wi-Fi;
- Unblock limited content and websites;
- Bypass censorship if there is one;
- Hide IP addresses of the websites you visit (ISPs collect and save this information for some years).
This list doesn’t include all features of NordVPN.
Why is NordVPN the best one?
According to the results of our research and the research of many other sources with the rating of VPN, NordVPN is the leader of the industry that combines affordable prices and security with highly-developed infrastructure. 5500 record-breaking servers in 60 countries offer each user to choose almost any location. Kodi will work transparently for your ISP and other scanners and filters in every location. The provider also has special servers with traffic obfuscating for countries which block VPN.
The provider also offers specialized servers with VPN protocol obfuscation for the countries that block the use of VPN technology.
NordVPN guarantees keeping “No logging” policy, so all your torrent videos or other online activity will be hidden.
Prices and plans:
- $3.49 per month ($125.64 for 3 years)
- $4.99 per month ($119.76 for 2 years)
- $6.99 per month ($83.88 for 1 year)
- $11.95 for a monthly subscription
A 7-day trial version is available for mobile apps.
NordVPN has a good price for a 3-year subscription. It is a long period of time, but you can totally trust this provider. It has been on the market for 10 years, and during this time it has never spotted its reputation.
2. Surfshark: One of the cheapest VPN services
Surfshark combines all the advantages of a great VPN service with nice prices. Meanwhile, the functionality that play an important role for Kodi are on the highest level:
- Supports Netflix, Hulu, etc.
- AES-256 encryption;
- “No logging” policy;
- Special servers for copyright content.
Additional functions of Surfshark will be useful while doing other tasks (Surfshark allows you to connect the unlimited number of devices using only one subscription):
- Protection from phishing sites;
- The Whitelister function which allows you to choose apps and websites for which IP address won’t change.
Prices and plans:
An excellent price for a 2-year subscription:
- $1.99 per month for 2 years ($47.74)
- $5.99 per month for 1 year ($71.88)
- $11.95 for a monthly subscription
3. CyberGhost: Special servers for streaming and torrentig
CyberGhost is one of the largest VPNs (more than 5300+ servers in 90 countries). It allows unblocking geo-restricted content easily as well as protects you when you use add-ons that grant you access to free content.
CyberGhost provides special server lists for that purpose:
- Streaming servers
- Torrenting servers
It keeps no logs and is located under the safe Romanian jurisdiction.
Besides that, CyberGhost is a great tool not only for Kodi but also for all other apps and tasks.
CyberGhost’s apps are available on all platforms: Windows, Android, macOS, iOS, Linux. They all have a kill switch, VPN protocol settings, and DNS leak protection.
Cons of CyberGhost:
- Possible connection issues on Windows. One of our computers running on Windows 8.1 stopped connecting to the network at one point. It worked fine with other VPNs. There is no such issue on Windows 10.
- Some locations are slow. Some servers, those on the “for torrenting” list especially, have the speed of less than 5 Mbps.
- Doesn’t bypass VPN blocks. Technical means of blocking in China and some other countries with censorship are too tough for CyberGhost to bypass.
Prices and plans:
- $2.75 per month ($99 for 3 years)
- $3.69 per month ($88.56 for 2 years)
- $5.99 per month ($71.88 for 1 year)
- $12.99 per month if subscribing for 1 month
+ a 7-day free trial on Android and iOS.
Among other advantages of CyberGhost VPN are:
- 24 hours of free trial;
- 45-day refund guarantee.
ExpressVPN has great support for Kodi. It has everything needed to work with geo-restrictions and free content:
- High speed
- Support of all platforms, TV platforms included
- Support of Netflix and other streaming services
- Allows torrenting
- Keeps no logs
- Safe offshore jurisdiction
ExpressVPN also has a lot of positive reviews on Reddit.
Its pricing, though, is considerably higher than that of its competitors. The cheapest 1-year plan costs $8.32 per month ($99.95 per year).
Cons of ExpressVPN:
- High prices;
- Anonymity issue on the Android app. When the device picks another network, the kill switch doesn’t work and the VPN connection can’t be reestablished;
- High energy consumption on Android.
Prices and plans:
- $8.32 per month when subscribing for 1 year ($99.95)
- $9.99 per month when subscribing for 6 months ($59.95)
- $12.95 per month when subscribing for 1 month
ExpressVPN offers a 7-day free trial on Android. You can also get a refund within 30 days of buying a subscription.
ZenMate combines Kodi support with simplicity and low prices. It is basically a scaled-down version of CyberGhost. They share the owner, some servers, and their apps are almost the same.
However, ZenMate differs from CyberGhost in terms of its use, jurisdiction, and functionality.
ZenMate offers a 7-day free trial without necessity to enter a credit card and has server lists for streaming and torrenting.
Defining features of ZenMate:
- servers in 30 countries;
- doesn’t have some extra functions (Split Tunneling, for example);
- a 7-day free trial.
Cons of ZenMate:
- Small selection of servers;
- Possible connections issues on Windows (same as with CyberGhost);
- Some locations are slow;
- Doesn’t work in China;
- Based in Germany (part of the 14 Eyes alliance);
- Simplified functionality.
Prices and plans:
- $2.05 per month when subscribing for 2 years ($49.20)
- $3.99 per month when subscribing for 1 year ($47.88)
- $9.99 per month when subscribing for 1 month
Apart from the free trial, you can refund your purchase within 30 days.
Free VPNs for Kodi (limited functionality)
Be careful around free services. Many of them collect your private data either on their own or by using extraneous services. Officially it’s done for advertisement purposes but it’s not impossible that your private information will be sold to third parties.
When choosing a free VPN to use with Kodi, you need to keep in mind that all the “unlimited” VPNs on the market that are built in a browser (Hola, FreeVPN, etc.) won’t cut it. They hide the IP address and traffic for that browser only.
What we are looking for is a VPN that will hide the IP and encrypt the traffic for Kodi.
There are no free VPNs that are able to unblock Netflix and other streaming services without any traffic limitations.
The main problem of using free VPNs with Kodi in general is speed and bandwidth limitations. This is problematic for both unblocking geo-restricted content and protecting your access to free content.
Below you’ll find five free VPNs that work, in a limited way, with Kodi. You can also make use of the list of 5 free VPNs in our best VPN services for torrenting review.
1. FreeWindscribe for Kodi
Almost all free VPNs have traffic volume restrictions or speed restrictions. Windscribe stands out with the smallest number of restrictions. Using Windscribe, you will get from 2GB to 15GB per month:
- 2GB per month in a case of registration, but without using your e-mail
15GB per month in a case of your e-mail registration and if you tweet Windscribe.
As any other providers with free tariff plans additionally to traffic limit, there is also a choice of locations limit. Only 10 locations are available for you.
2. Free ProtonVPN for Kodi
There is an alternative to the traffic limit – free VPN with a limited speed. The best one from these VPNs is ProtonVPN. Moreover, the first 7 days will be full trial days for its “Plus” version.
What advantages and disadvantages does ProtonVpn have?
One of the main advantages is that you shouldn’t monitor your traffic bandwidth. One of the main disadvantages is that high quality video content and other tasks won’t be available for you.
3. Free TunnelBear for Kodi
The following providers from our list are also suitable for Kodi, but they have a lot of restrictions.
TunnelBear restricts its users with the volume of free traffic, from 500MB to 1000MB:
- 500MB for standard use;
- 1000MB if you tweet this service.
Pros and cons of TunnelBear:
On the one hand, the pros are the animated version which makes the apps more attractive.
2 GB free per month with an opportunity to choose from 5 locations – these terms are offered by hide.me VPN. This provider doesn’t have any peculiarities. The only thing which I would like to mention is that I faced some problems with the installation of the app on Windows 10.
5. Kaspersky VPN for Kodi
Kaspersky is a recognized expert in the field of protection from antivirus. Not long ago it has launched its VPN version. We are also interested in its free tariff plan for VPN.
It is unusual because it limits traffic bandwidth not for months, but days. 200MB – 300MB are available for free each day:
- 200MB if you haven’t got any accounts for its antivirus software;
- 300MB if you have one.
It is obvious, that it is not enough for watching one film or one episode of series. But unfortunately, there are fewer and fewer providers with free tariff plans. That is why we need to choose from what we have.
In the Upshot
Nowadays, people use free VPNs to both become protected on the net and access entertaining sites and services.
Having become one of 38 million Kodi consumers, you’ll definitely want to experience the best streaming via various Kodi addons.
But how to unblock them?
Now you know what to do!
Subscribe for the best VPN for Kodi and be convinced you’re using the most complete and diverse service.