Hola VPN Review: Unlimited Free VPN
Free VPN services are provided in various forms: free packages and plans, free trials or totally free VPN software as Betternet, for instance. Every user has different needs and desires, so it is up to him, what free VPN to download. Still, it is clear enough that with free VPN services you have more chances to be private, anonymous and even secure that surfing the Internet without free VPN.
What free VPN is decent to select? Let us suggest you one of the totally free VPN services. It’s unlimited free VPN Hola. What are its characteristics? What are the reasons to choose or avoid it? Does it have any weak sides? These and other questions are under discussion today on cooltechzone.com.
Besides, we have carried out a few tests for unlimited free VPN Hola.
Got interested? Want to know its results?
Read the review carefully and you’ll definitely get to know everything!
Here we go!
How can you use Hola free of charge?
The provider of Hola has both fee-paying plans and unlimited free Hola VPN. One can take advantage free Hola VPN for ‘’non-commercial use’’ as it said on the website of Hola VPN. The data bandwidth is limitless, but the compatible platforms are limited.
Before you decide to download a free VPN app, you need to examine its characteristics and features to understand how it really works.
Let’s find out the following about Hola:
- Platforms supported by the service;
- What encryption methods are applied;
- What protocols are used to transfer the data;
- How many servers there are;
- In what countries Hola has VPN servers;
- Whether you can download torrents via Hola.
Unlimited free VPN Hola is available for many platforms. What are they? Actually, Hola can be installed as an extension to such browsers as Chrome, Firefox and Opera on devices based on Windows and Mac operating systems.
It is also available to download Hola app for Android, iOS and Windows. It is worth mentioning once again that Hola is free of charge for non-commercial usage and for Windows and Mac. As far as Android and iOS are concerned, you will have to subscribe for the service, which is fee-paying.
One can easily download Hola free VPN extension from the main page of its official website. You will have to perform several clicks to download and install Hola. What we really liked about the services is that it’s really easy to get, use and navigate.
How to download and set up Hola free VPN Chrome extension?
- The first step will be to visit Hola’ s homepage and click download icon. Have a look at the screenshot below:
- Then you should alter what plan you would like to use. We chose free as a P2P VPN. Here is the screenshot for you as well:
- After you choose a free plan, go to the second step ‘’Install’’ and you’ll start downloading the extension on your device. You will see the following on your screen.
- After the process of downloading is over, open the file and this free VPN Chrome extension will be installed automatically. You don’t need any setting to configure manually to install it.
- Once you install Hola VPN, it is ready for use. As you can see from the screenshot, it looks like a browser and in order to visit any website via Hola VPN, you need to type in its url.
As far as encryption is concerned, it’s hard to say whether the traffic is codified. But we found the following information about security and privacy on their FAQ page.
The provider of unlimited free VPN Hola protects internet connections and ensures with privacy online by means of routing your traffic via other Hola users. They call this method a new technology of free p2p VPN.
They even explain why is more beneficial to use free p2p VPN than a traditional free VPN service. Have a quick look at this:
#1 Free P2P VPN makes it harder to track IP addresses, so it is believed that you are more secure and anonymous on the network.
#2 Your gadget is used just as a router, and on one has access to your information. (At least, they promise it).
As you know traditional free VPN services apply data transfer protocols to pass the data through the network. Various protocols are used: PPTP, L2TP, IPSec, OpenVPN which is one of the most frequently applied.
How does the traffic go through the network while you connect via Hola?
As it was said a few paragraphs above, Hola is free p2p VPN, which means that the information is passed with the help of p2p sharing. The traffic is routed via other devices involved in the network. Every Hola user contributes to the network with idle resources, which makes the service free of charge.
Servers and geography
As free P2P VPN, Hola allows being connected via IP addresses from foreign countries. When we testified the service, we found out that:
You can choose the country, there are lots of them in the list
You can’t choose the IP address. It is changed automatically.
The list of countries available is really long, so it is hard to identify the exact number. The number of IP addresses also depends on the number of Hola users as peer-to-peer technology is applied. It is written on their official site that there are more than 148 million users around the world. Can you imagine the number of IPs?
They gather such logs to understand how to improve the services. We hope that they keep their word and aren’t going to sell data to third parties.
Another type of information collected is personal, including names, emails, screen names. Still, when you use free Hola VPN, you may not create an account.
Speedtest for Hola
Internet speed is very important when you are going to stream via free VPN services. in case free VPN software performs low download and upload speeds, you won’t be able to get pleasure from watching high-quality video content.
That’s why be sure to conduct a speed test while you use Hola. We tried to connect via a couple of countries, Germany and the USA and found out that American servers are faster, than German ones.
These are the results with Hola on:
These are the results with Hola off:
The reasons to choose Hola
- First and foremost, Hola is unlimited and free VPN. If your budget is not as large as you wish, but you need to connect via VPN, free VPN might be a good solution.
- Hola free VPN Chrome extension is easy to use and navigate, no troubles with configurations, the process of setup is automated.
- Free Hola VPN is compliant with two widely-used computer platforms: Windows and Mac.
- The traffic is routed via other servers, so it makes your internet connection anonymous.
- You can change your IP addresses into ones from foreign states. Hola VPN is used by millions of users, so the variety of IPs is impressive.
Weak sides of Hola
What can we say about the weak sides of unlimited free VPN Hola? As any service, it can’t be 100% perfect…
- You can choose an IP address. It is chosen automatically according to the country you choose.
- It is available only for two platforms free of charge: Windows and Mac.
- Some information about you is collected, though it is stated to be for statistics.
- All in all, having both pros and cons, it seems Hola VPN is not bad if taking into consideration the fact that it is not fee-paying. Hola VPN is not difficult to use as it is a browser extension: you just need to choose the country and type in the url of the website, you’d like to access.
- One may unblock such streaming services as Netflix, SkyGo, Pandora and others. The number of locations for connecting is big enough, so you have the chance to change IP addresses from time to time.
- The interface is user-friendly as well, so it’s pleasant to surf the Internet using Hola free vpn Chrome extension.
Don’t hesitate to share your point of view for cooltechzone.com. We greatly appreciate your opinion!