Hoxx VPN: what are pros and cons?
What do you prefer: unlimited free VPN services or free VPN trial periods? All types of free VPNs are different, so don’t download the first software you see on the Internet. Keep calm and read our reviews. Among the latest ones is Unblock US review.
Not interested? Then read his Hoxx VPN review!
After you read, you’ll learn…
- How it’s free for users;
- What features are offered for free;
- Platforms supported by the service;
- How safe and private you are with Hoxx VPN;
- In what countries Hoxx VPN has servers;
- Hoxx VPN: test results (Must-read!);
- Why to use Hoxx VPN;
- Why to avoid Hoxx VPN.
- Oficial site.
Here we go!
Hoxx VPN is not unlimited free, and there a couple of paid plans are offered. But the provider of Hoxx VPN has the only free package for their clients. It is not advanced one (more details in our next sections), but it’s quite enough for common users.
Let’s see how you can subscribe for the free Hoxx VPN package:
1. Visit the homepage and find ‘’Pricing’’ section.
2. Click it and you will see the free package as it is on the screenshot.
3. Press ‘’Start now’’.
4. After that, you will be suggested to choose the platform you want to install Hoxx VPN software. (We tested Google Chrome extension and the app for Windows). More details about the platforms in our next section.
5. Then you are to download and set the app. It takes a few minutes and a couple of clicks. In particular, you are to create an account. Thus, go to step 6.
6. Click ‘’Create an account’’ and follow the instructions. Be sure that you provide with a valid e-mail address as the password will be sent to it.
Here is the interface of Hoxx Google Chrome extension:
After you log in, you’ll see the locations which are available for connecting.
Here is the full list of what you can do with Hoxx free VPN package:
- Connect to 50+ locations (as far as their Chrome extension is concerned, there are 23 countries are available for free).
- Surf the Internet without bandwidth restrictions.
- Overcome internet censorship restrictions imposed by governments.
- Protect your sensitive data with 1024-bit encrypting.
- Stream online at fat speeds without restrictions.
- Static IP addresses will be assigned to you.
- Malicious websites will be filtered for you.
- Switch the servers unlimitedly.
Hoxx free VPN software is available for Windows, Mac, Android and iOS which is coming soon. Moreover, the browser extensions for Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox can be downloaded and used free of charge.
To be protected with a VPN service, it is recommended to prefer OpenVPN. What about Hoxx VPN? It applies HTTP tunneling for the browser extensions and Shadowsocks for Android. But Shadowsocks is actually a VPN protocol, it is a proxy. That’s why online safety with Hoxx browser extensions is questionable.
Still, it is claimed that with free Hoxx VPN, your traffic is passed in an encrypted way (1024-bit). It seems it is not applied to their browser extensions.
We had some problems while testing their Windows OS app, so we can’t ensure you for 100% that it is safe enough.
Having tested Hoxx browser extension for Google Chrome, we found out that 23 countries are available for free connections.
Here is the list below:
⇒ United States
⇒ United Kingdom
⇒ South Korea
⇒ Hong Kong
⇒ South Africa
⇒ Czech Republic
Not bad for a free service!
We conducted a few tests for Hoxx Chrome extension and Windows app. Let’s see the results.
IP Leak test (Chrome extension)
Germany server: Ok!
Canada server: Ok!
USA server: Ok!
All in all, I’m quite satisfied with this Hoxx browser extension as it doesn’t leak IP addresses. Well-done!
Speed test (Chrome extension)
Hoxx Chrome extension is off:
Connected via Germany:
Connected via Canada:
Connected via the USA:
The speed test results are quite successful: the internet is not getting slower.
Now let’s have a look at the test results for Hoxx VPN app (Windows OS).
IP Leak Test for Hoxx VPN app (Windows OS)
When I tried to connect via one of four free VPN servers, I failed.
I tried again and again. All in all, I repeated several times, nothing was changed. IP leak test was not conducted as any of the servers were not available. I can’ say anything about the speeds as well.
Thus, I wouldn’t recommend you to use this Hoxx VPN app for your PC.
I should say that the Chrome extension is quite ok. Moreover, it is free and easy to install and use. Thus, it is a good way to unblock geo-restricted websites.
I’m dead disappointed at Hoxx VPN for Windows. Actually, it doesn’t work at all! I would recommend to avoid it and find an alternative.
Here is the list of possible alternatives to HoxxVPN. They are completely free VPN services or offer free trials:
- Windscribe Free VPN
- Avast Free VPN
- Turbo VPN
- Trust Zone VPN
- Dot VPN
Do you have anything to add? Is your experience of using Hoxx VPN more successful? Leave us a comment!
Oficial site of Hoxx VPN: NOT HAVE