How to get unbanned from a Discord server (2023)
Discord is a massively popular instant messaging platform that allows seamless voice and video calls. Users can join thousands of servers to participate in live discussions but risk getting banned from Discord if they fail to follow its strict community guidelines.
Sometimes, you can get banned from a Discord server by mistake when the platform falsely flags your account as suspicious. Luckily, there are a few ways to bypass a Discord ban and regain access. For example, you can use a VPN to switch your IP address associated with the banned account and continue using the service.
Discord server administrators can lock you out of specific chat rooms, but you can also be banned from the whole platform. In this article, we'll explain how to get unbanned from a Discord server in both cases.
How to get unbanned from Discord with a VPN
- Uninstall Discord from your device and delete its associated files
- Subscribe to a reliable VPN. We recommend NordVPN, now 68% OFF
- Download and reinstall Discord
- Create and alternative email address
- Connect to a VPN server and create a new Discord account using a new email address
3 Best VPNs to get unbanned from Discord
- NordVPN – best overall VPN for Discord
- Surfshark – excellent for multiple Discord account management
- Atlas VPN – bypass Discord ban with a budget-friendly VPN
Why would you get banned from a Discord server?
There are two types of Discord bans: a Discord server ban and a platform-wide ban. The former only restricts access to a specific server, but the latter prohibits the user from using the Discord app.
Discord servers have administrators and moderators with the right to ban other users from the chat room. Although each server has unique community guidelines, here are the most common issues that could get your Discord account banned:
- Using hate speech and discrimination
- Harassing other Discord users
- Sharing sexually inappropriate content
- Promoting violence of any kind
- Organizing or participating in scams
Server administrators will kick you out of the room if you fail to adhere to these principles, but a severe violation can result in a platform-wide ban.
There are several ways Discord manages bans. Firstly, administrators can simply kick out the user without restricting access. After reviewing the guidelines, the user can rejoin the chat room. Simultaneously, they can issue a Discord IP ban denying server access from this IP address.
You will get a DM warning and an email in case of a platform-wide ban that has five levels:
- API ban. The user is temporarily prohibited from using Discord API, usually for spamming.
- Quarantine. The user can't contact or join new servers but can use existing ones.
- Temporary ban. The user cannot use the Discord app for a time.
- Permanent ban. The user is banned from the Discord platform without the possibility of returning with the same credentials (IP address, phone number, email, etc.).
- Account termination. Discord disables and deletes specific accounts with the opportunity to create a new one.
How to get unbanned from a Discord server: 3 easy ways
Depending on the ban type and level, there are a few ways to bypass Discord bans. You can use a VPN to avoid an IP ban on Discord, reach out to server administrators, or submit an appeal to Discord staff.
Below is a concise step-by-step guide on how to get unbanned from Discord.
1. Use a VPN to bypass IP ban on Discord
Discord uses an IP-flagging method to ban users from its platform. Although we recommend sticking to Discord's ethics, you can easily bypass a Discord ban with a reliable VPN.
A VPN allows you to switch IP addresses by connecting to different VPN servers. If Discord flags your original IP address, you can simply connect to a different VPN server, create a new Discord account, and continue using it.
Here's how to do it on your chosen device.
Get unbanned from Discord with a VPN on PC
- Quit Discord and Uninstall it
- Delete associated Discord files, llke the ones found on C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Discord. Click on the View tab and enable hidden items if you can't find the app data folder
- Create a new email address
- Launch your VPN app and connect to a server to get a fresh IP address
- Download and reinstall Discord
- Create a new account using the new email address
- Log in to the Discord app and visit your favorite servers!
Get unbanned from Discord with a VPN on smartphone
- Reinstall Discord on your smartphone
- Disconnect from Wi-Fi and switch to mobile data
- Open the VPN app and connect to a server
- Create a new email address
- Launch Discord and create a new account using the new email address
- Log in with new credentials and rejoin your favorite Discord servers!
2. Contact the server admins
Each Discord server has an administrator that maintains the order within the chat room. You can easily identify server admins by checking the crown icon near their username on the right side. However, some administrators don't want to brag and hide this icon, so you'll have to ask around.
Contact the server administrator if you're unsure why you were kicked out or banned from the room. It's easy to misinterpret some guidelines, and professional administrators will get you on the right path to rejoin their servers.
3. Submit an appeal
You will have to contact the Discord staff if you receive a platform-wide ban from the service and don’t want to use the VPN workaround. Here's how to do it:
- Go to the Discord Support Portal
- Click on Submit a request on the top right of the screen
- Select the Appeals & Age Update Requests
- Fill in the selected fields
- Add any attachements if necessary
- Submit the appeal
What if you can’t bypass Discord ban with a VPN
You can still find yourself locked out of servers even if you use a VPN to bypass the Discord server ban. But don't turn off your VPN just yet, as these four tips could help:
- Update the apps. Update Discord and VPN apps to apply the latest fixes and try rejoining Discord servers.
- Connect to a different server. Rarely, you may stumble upon a VPN IP address Discord has banned. Connect to a different VPN server and try again.
- Contact customer support. A VPN help desk representative may have more information on how to get unbanned from Discord using their services.
- Switch VPN providers. Not all VPNs are the same, and some aren't optimized to bypass online bans, especially free VPN services. Consider switching to a professional paid VPN known to work well with Discord.
Discord is widely popular and requires fierce moderation to keep it clean and tidy. Unfortunately, sometimes, users can get banned from the platform by mistake or for misunderstanding the server community guidelines.
Contacting the server administrators or submitting an appeal may solve the issue. Simultaneously, you can use a trustworthy VPN like NordVPN to change your original IP address and bypass the Discord IP ban. Whichever method you use depends on the circumstances.
We recommend using a VPN when a specific server has banned you for no good reason, and you are unable to contact the administrators. You can continue participating on the server from a new account with a new IP address.
On the other hand, it's best to submit an appeal to Discord support if your account was flagged by mistake and you don't want to lose all the connections you made. One way or another, it's best to carefully review the Discord ethics guidelines and use our methods upon illegitimate bans.
Can I get unbanned from a Discord server?
Yes, you can get unbanned from a Discord server by contacting the server administrator or using a VPN like NordVPN to bypass the Discord IP ban and rejoin the chat rooms from a new account.
How do I get back into a Discord server I was banned from?
The best way to get back into a Discord server is by raising the issue with the administrator. However, if they continue to deny access, you can use a VPN to create a new account and rejoin the server.
Can Discord admins see IP?
No, Discord server administrators cannot see the user's IP address. Furthermore, Discord encrypts all personally identifiable data on its servers, including the original IP address, to protect its user's privacy. However, Discord can issue an IP ban to deny access to its platform.
Am I banned from a Discord server?
You can tell you're banned from a Discord server if you get the 'Unable to accept invite' or 'Banned from server' error messages upon clicking the invitation link. Simultaneously, you will receive an email stating, 'Your account has been banned for violating the Discord Terms of Service' if you've been banned on the whole platform.