10 Best VPNs for Kodi + All You Need to Know About Kodi in 2021
Many Kodi users know about this video add-on. Earlier, I have used software from other developers but today I decided to install and research Exodus Redux. In this article, I will share my impressions and compare them to other top-notched Kodi add-ons.
- Best Kodi add-ons
- Best Kodi builds
- How to install Exodus add-on
- NFL Kodi add-ons
- How to install Kodi on Fire TV
- Kodi for iPhone/iPad
Do you want to use a trusted and reliable VPN instead of what Kodi goads you into using? Then this article is for you!
Unfortunately, any free VPN has traffic or speed limits.
The overwhelming number of free VPN services represents the nightmare in terms of security and restrictions bypassing.
- The level of security of such free VPNs is far from ideal.
- Some free VPN providers store user data for the purpose of further selling it to advertisers (like ISPs do).
- Slow server speed because they are overloaded with users.
- Limited number of facilities (lack of kill switch, split tunneling and so on).
- They can’t unblock services and addons.
That’s why it’s such a difficult task to choose a VPN service that doesn’t have security issues. Moreover, most free VPNs today are just severely limited free plans of paid and often pricey services. At the same time, the lowest price you can find for a really high-quality full-fledged provider’s services is $1.99 per month.
- ExpressVPN: Maximum customization. Apps for TV platforms and configuration for routers.
- NordVPN: 5600+ high-speed servers for unrestricted access to Kodi for $3.49 per month.
- Surfshark: 1000+ servers optimized for Kodi for the lowest possible monthly cost - $1.99.
- PIA: Fast and stable VPN. A router is used for Kodi.
- CyberGhost VPN: A top VPN with over 7000 servers worldwide. Good customer support.
- Windscribe: A free VPN for Kodi with traffic restrictions (2-15 GB monthly) and 10 locations.
- ProtonVPN: No payment within a 7-day trial period to test its premium features. No traffic restrictions for Kodi use.
- Hide.me: 2 GB of monthly traffic to unblock the best Kodi extensions. 5 locations to choose from.
- TunnelBear: Absolutely free VPN provider without speed or traffic restrictions. 2 allowed to locations.
- Kaspersky VPN: If 200-300 MB daily is enough for Kodi use, it’s a good variant. Be prepared you can’t choose locations.
Numerous streaming services block VPNs: both free and paid. And nowadays, it is an uphill struggle to find a free VPN provider that would work with services like Netflix, Hulu, HBO, but still, lots of VPN providers do work for streaming.
Kodi is the way-out. Being an open-source cross-platform media player, Kodi makes it possible to create your own library that would contain the best content. And there is no need to stream via blocked services.
Don’t miss it!
Having installed some additional Kodi addons, you’ll get access to the best services using only one application.
There is no need to open numerous sites and apps, create usernames and passwords, pay for subscriptions. Kodi will do it instead of you (except payment for sure).
Do I need VPN for Kodi?
There is no doubt!
Kodi gained its popularity thanks to free access to streaming movies, music and so on. This access is not always legal.
For example, Kodi is considered to be unlawful in the UK according to the “Copyright, Design and Patent Act” (1988).
If a Kodi addon is blocked in your country, you need to buy a VPN.
The best free VPN for Kodi unblocks restricted for your region addons and gets access to sites you like.
Unfortunately, we are not well-informed in the sphere of legislation. As a result, sometimes Kodi users stream pirated content without knowing it.
In order not to be punished for such an activity, it’s better to subscribe to a free VPN service. It will help to conceal your IP address. So, you won’t be subjected to any illegal activity via your Kodi account.
To cut a long story short, the combination of Kodi and a VPN is fantastic.
Five best VPN services for Kodi
This list is made on the basis of technical features analysis, practical tests, and feedback of real Kodi users who use it through a VPN.
All five services listed here are paid ones.
Unfortunately, there are no free VPNs that provide their users with such kinds of services as unlimited traffic and speed. You can forget about limits and feel safe only with a paid VPN.
So, let’s start!
1. ExpressVPN: The best VPN for Kodi
According to the last test results, ExpressVPN is optimized for Kodi more than other services.
It optimally combines speed, geo-restrictions bypassing, high privacy protection level for users, a wide range of locations and user-friendliness.
Its big advantage is the support of TV platforms and routers, which allows connecting to the VPN without PC.
- Unblocking of Netflix and other services
- 100% traffic protection from an internet provider
- Hides the URLs of visited websites
- Perfect speed and stability
- Best 24/7 support service
- Support of all platforms including TV, Xbox, and routers
ExpressVPN is available through 3 plans that differ from each other due to the subscription length*:
- $6.67 per month when subscribing to 12 months
- $9.99 per month when subscribing to 6 months
- $12.95 per month when subscribing to 1 month
*- the prices include a 20% discount when following a CoolTechZone.com link
Every new user is given 3 extra months for free when subscribing to 1 year.
Approved for payment:
- Credit Cards
- Bitcoin and 11 more methods of payment
The provider has a proven 30-day money-back guarantee.
ExpressVPN’s price compared to other services.
(compared to the same-length subscriptions of the VPNs on our Top 5)
We’ve tested ExpressVPN application for TV platforms and analyzed its work with routers. The results have shown high software efficiency, solid adaptability, and flexibility.
2. NordVPN: As secure as possible
NordVPN allows you to unblock geo-restricted content without a hitch and makes the use of Kodi 100% anonymous and safe. The basic features of this service are modern technologies of hiding your IP address, including the protection of IP leaking, the strong traffic encryption, and the “No logging” policy.
Perhaps, I haven’t used such a user-friendly app before at other providers. Moreover, it is suitable for every device. You can use one subscription to install NordVPN on 6 devices simultaneously. So, you can use it not only for Kodi but also for other tasks:
- Protect your devices and personal data using public Wi-Fi;
- Unblock limited content and websites;
- Bypass censorship if there is one;
- Hide IP addresses of the websites you visit (ISPs collect and save this information for some years).
This list doesn’t include all features of NordVPN.
Why is NordVPN the best one?
According to the results of our research and the research of many other sources with the rating of VPN, NordVPN is the leader of the industry that combines affordable prices and security with a highly-developed infrastructure. 5500 record-breaking servers in 60 countries offer each user to choose almost any location. Kodi will work transparently for your ISP and other scanners and filters in every location. The provider also has special servers with traffic obfuscating for countries that block VPN.
The provider also offers specialized servers with VPN protocol obfuscation for the countries that block the use of VPN technology.
NordVPN guarantees keeping “No logging” policy, so all your torrent videos or other online activity will be hidden.
Prices and plans:
- $3.49 per month ($125.64 for 3 years)
- $4.99 per month ($119.76 for 2 years)
- $6.99 per month ($83.88 for 1 year)
- $11.95 for a monthly subscription
A 7-day trial version is available for mobile apps.
NordVPN has a good price for a 3-year subscription. It is a long period of time, but you can totally trust this provider. It has been on the market for 10 years, and during this time it has never spotted its reputation.
More info is in NordVPN review
3. Surfshark: One of the cheapest VPN services
Surfshark combines all the advantages of a great VPN service with nice prices. Meanwhile, the functionality that plays an important role for Kodi is on the highest level:
- Supports Netflix, Hulu, etc.
- AES-256 encryption;
- “No logging” policy;
- Special servers for copyright content.
Additional functions of Surfshark will be useful while doing other tasks (Surfshark allows you to connect the unlimited number of devices using only one subscription):
- Protection from phishing sites;
- The Whitelister function which allows you to choose apps and websites for which IP address won’t change.
Prices and plans:
An excellent price for a 2-year subscription:
- $1.99 per month for 2 years ($47.74)
- $5.99 per month for 1 year ($71.88)
- $11.95 for a monthly subscription
More info is in Surfshark review
4. Private Internet Access: For Kodi VPN Manager or router
Private Internet Access (PIA) is good for use with Kodi VPN Manager as well as through router.
The provider will be very attractive for those who need port forwarding for torrent addons and those who don’t use P2P and looks for the best performance through cheap routers.
It doesn’t support Netflix.
- 100% traffic protection from an internet provider
- Hides URLs of visited websites
- Great speeds and stability
- Port Forwarding
- The feature to turn off encryption for best performance
- Advanced settings for connection
- Configuration for any device
Despite solid functionality for Kodi, PIA doesn’t work with streaming services (doesn’t bypass geo-restrictions).
Also, it doesn’t have apps for popular TV platforms. That’s why Private Internet Access befits to tech-savvy users who know how to configure a WiFi router or Kodi VPN addon manually.
PIA is available through three plans that differ from each other in length of subscription*:
- $3.33 per month when subscribing for 12 months
- $5.99 per month when subscribing for 6 months
- $9.95 when subscribing for 1 month
The provider is one of the cheapest when buying the service for 6-12 months.
Approved for payment:
- Credit Cards
- Bitcoin and 3 more payment options
Private Internet Access has a proven 30-day money-back guarantee.
PIA’s price compared to other services.
(compared to the same-length subscriptions of the VPNs recommended in our top 5)
We’ve tested PIA work through OpenVPN protocol and functionality to configure VPN addon for Kodi. We’ve managed to connect to the VPN by means of both methods.
Among its peculiarities, I’d like to point out the functionality to synchronize port in PIA and torrent addon (port forwarding is available not for all locations) and functionality to disable encryption and therefore offload the processor of a device. It’s relevant for underpowered TVs and routers
5. CyberGhost VPN: Special servers for streaming and torrenting
CyberGhost VPN is one of the largest VPNs (more than 5900+ servers in 90 countries). It allows unblocking geo-restricted content easily as well as protects you when you use add-ons that grant you access to free content.
CyberGhost VPN provides special server lists for that purpose:
- Streaming servers
- Torrenting servers
It keeps no logs and is located under the safe Romanian jurisdiction.
Besides that, CyberGhost VPN is a great tool not only for Kodi but also for all other apps and tasks.
CyberGhost VPN’s apps are available on all platforms: Windows, Android, macOS, iOS, Linux. They all have a kill switch, VPN protocol settings, and DNS leak protection.
Cons of CyberGhost VPN:
- Possible connection issues on Windows. One of our computers running on Windows 8.1 stopped connecting to the network at one point. It worked fine with other VPNs. There is no such issue on Windows 10.
- Some locations are slow. Some servers, those on the “for torrenting” list especially, have the speed of less than 5 Mbps.
- Doesn’t bypass VPN blocks. Technical means of blocking in China and some other countries with censorship are too tough for CyberGhost VPN to bypass.
Prices and plans:
- $2.75 per month ($99 for 3 years) + 2 extra months for free
- $3.69 per month ($88.56 for 2 years)
- $5.99 per month ($71.88 for 1 year)
- $12.99 per month with the subscription for 1 month
+ a 7-day free trial on Android and iOS.
Among other advantages of CyberGhost VPN are:
- 24 hours of free trial;
- 45-day refund guarantee.
More info is in CyberGhost VPN review
ZenMate combines Kodi support with simplicity and low prices. It is basically a scaled-down version of CyberGhost VPN. They share the owner, some servers, and their apps are almost the same.
However, ZenMate differs from CyberGhost VPN in terms of its use, jurisdiction, and functionality.
ZenMate offers a 7-day free trial without necessity to enter a credit card and has server lists for streaming and torrenting.
Defining features of ZenMate:
- servers in 30 countries;
- doesn’t have some extra functions (Split Tunneling, for example);
- a 7-day free trial.
Cons of ZenMate:
- Small selection of servers;
- Possible connections issues on Windows (same as with CyberGhost VPN);
- Some locations are slow;
- Doesn’t work in China;
- Based in Germany (part of the 14 Eyes alliance);
- Simplified functionality.
Prices and plans:
- $2.22 per month when subscribing for 1 year ($39.96)
- $5.39 per month when subscribing for 6 months ($32.34)
- $10.99 per month when subscribing for 1 month
Apart from the free trial, you can refund your purchase within 30 days.
Learn more about ZenMate
Free VPNs for Kodi (limited functionality)
Be careful around free services. Many of them collect your private data either on their own or by using extraneous services. Officially it’s done for advertisement purposes but it’s not impossible that your private information will be sold to third parties.
When choosing a free VPN to use with Kodi, you need to keep in mind that all the “unlimited” VPNs on the market that are built in a browser (Hola, FreeVPN, etc.) won’t cut it. They hide the IP address and traffic for that browser only.
What we are looking for is a VPN that will hide the IP and encrypt the traffic for Kodi.
There are no free VPNs that are able to unblock Netflix and other streaming services without any traffic limitations.
The main problem of using free VPNs with Kodi in general is speed and bandwidth limitations. This is problematic for both unblocking geo-restricted content and protecting your access to free content.
Below you’ll find five free VPNs that work, in a limited way, with Kodi. You can also make use of the list of 5 free VPNs in our best VPN services for torrenting review.
1. FreeWindscribe for Kodi
- 2GB per month in a case of registration, but without using your e-mail
15GB per month in a case of your e-mail registration and if you tweet Windscribe.
As with any other provider with a free tariff plan, additionally to a traffic limit, there is also a choice of locations limit. Only 10 locations are available for you.
Learn more about Windscribe VPN
2. Free ProtonVPN for Kodi
What advantages and disadvantages does ProtonVpn have?
One of the main advantages is that you shouldn’t monitor your traffic bandwidth. One of the main disadvantages is that high-quality video content and other tasks won’t be available for you.
Learn more about ProtonVPN
Learn more about Hide.me
4. Free TunnelBear for Kodi
TunnelBear restricts its users with the volume of free traffic, from 500MB to 1000MB:
- 500MB for standard use;
- 1000MB if you tweet this service.
Pros and cons of TunnelBear:
On the one hand, the pros are the animated version which makes the apps more attractive.
Learn more about TunnelBear
5. Kaspersky VPN for Kodi
It is unusual because it limits traffic bandwidth not for months, but days. 200MB – 300MB is available for free each day:
- 200MB if you haven’t got any accounts for its antivirus software;
- 300MB if you have one.
It is obvious, that it is not enough for watching one film or one episode of series. But unfortunately, there are fewer and fewer providers with free tariff plans. That is why we need to choose from what we have.
Kodi add-ons: where to start?
With security taken care of, we can now learn what a protected version of Kodi is capable of.
I’ll start with Kodi add-ons.
A Kodi add-on is a module installed into Kodi’s base shell to accomplish certain tasks. The thing that interests us the most is video add-ons. It is these add-ons that open literally limitless access to movies and online broadcasts for us.
If you don’t know how to install a Kodi add-on or want to find something new and relevant, you can make use of the following links:
- Find out more about the best Kodi add-ons.
- First things first: install Exodus.
- Learn which NFL add-ons help you watch sports
Kodi builds: a powerful tool for accessing video content
I presume that most of my readers have already installed at least one video add-on. But have you tried Kodi builds out?
If you haven’t, you really should!
All the more reason to do it: you aren’t risking anything. You can always back your Kodi up and restore it with the XBMС backup add-on (is available in the official repository).
A build will turn your Kodi into a powerful media studio that gives you access to any films, series, TV shows, content for kids or adults, online broadcasts on any topic, TV channels, music, music videos, etc.
Read more on how to install a Kodi build for your Kodi.
Where can I launch Kodi safely?
What is more, you can copy all of your add-ons and settings by creating a zip backup that you then copy to a different device and restore from it your precise version.
❓ What is VPN for Kodi?
Virtual Private Network allows getting absolutely anonymous access to the content available on Kodi. The virtual network also masks the IP address of a user by changing it with the IP address of another country and therefore allows getting access to geo-restricted content of other countries.
🛠 How to setup VPN on Kodi?
There are three ways to use VPN with Kodi:
- Set up the app on a PC or TV.
- Configure addon “Kodi VPN Manager” or “VPN Manager for OpenVPN”.
- Configure router or other devices that share the internet.
🏆 What is the best VPN for Kodi?
The most suitable VPN should combine all the functionality for Kodi:
- Torrenting protection
- Streaming unblocking
- Censorship bypassing
- Privacy and security
ExpressVPN is the best for 2021 according to CoolTechZone.com test results.
🚫 Is it legal to use a VPN?
Yes, VPN technology is used in all countries around the world. Today, hundreds of millions of users use virtual networks. The work of the VPN is based on technologies that have appeared when the Internet came to the world. It doesn’t have any connection with any forbidden methods or vulnerabilities.
In the Upshot
Nowadays, people use free VPNs to both become protected on the net and access entertaining sites and services.
Having become one of 38 million Kodi consumers, you’ll definitely want to experience the best streaming via various Kodi addons.
But how to unblock them?
Now you know what to do!
Subscribe for the best VPN for Kodi and be convinced you’re using the most complete and diverse service.