10 Best VPNs for Netflix That Work in All Countries
Searching for the ways to access Netflix unavoidably leads to VPN technology. CoolTechZone conducts dozens of tests to check how well VPN services work with Netflix every month. We put special emphasis on the support of American Netflix
- Netflix Peculiarities
- The best VPN services for streaming Netflix
- Best free VPNs for American Netflix library: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5!
In the autumn of 2019, the number of this streaming giant’s subscribers exceeded 158 million people. Its audience is composed of citizens of different countries but every region has its own content restrictions. The fullest library of movies, series, and TV shows is available to those who live in the United States.
Have you got any ideas about which service I am going to tell you?
If Netflix comes to your mind, you are perfectly right!
I am going to speak about the problems of access to Netflix content and recommend you 5 best VPN services, which provide their users with unlimited watching of Netflix content (they can be used for free for 30 – 45 days).
- ExpressVPN: Good service with fast servers (25-70 Mbps) but rather costly - $6.67 per month.
- NordVPN: Fast servers from all regions of the world for unlimited streaming. The price starts at $3.49 per month.
- Surfshark: Available in all countries worldwide. The lowest possible cost is $1.99 monthly.
- CyberGhost VPN: US, UK, and DE locations for unrestricted Netflix streaming.
- UnblockUS: Optimized to work in countries with censorship, but is expensive and asks for too much information at signing up.
- ProtonVPN: Service with a 7-day trial version and a free plan with limitless speed and locations.
- SaferVPN: Provider that offers a 24-hour free period or 500 MB for Chrome monthly.
- TunnelBear: VPN service to unblock Netflix. There are both paid and free (500-1000 MB monthly) plans.
- VyprVPN: A 3-day free trial is allowed to check whether it can unblock Netflix in your region.
- HideMyAss: This VPN can be tested risk-free through a 7-day trial version or 30-day refund.
In this review, I’ll tell you about the most efficient paid and free VPN services that allow unblocking geo-restricted content. The top-tier VPNs work not only with Netflix but also with Hulu, HBO, and other streaming services and TV channels.
Unfortunately, there’s been a trend of using free VPN services with Netflix having issues lately. I could barely find 5 working providers and the situation keeps escalating. It’s possible that very soon there’ll remain no opportunity to unblock Netflix of the popular regions for free.
But, first of all, some theoretical information.
American streaming service Netflix was launched in 1997, when the group of like-minded people, headed by Mark Randolph and Rid Hastings, decided to make a contribution into entertaining online-sector.
Netflix in numbers
- You will be surprised, but in Netflix corporation, there are about 5400 people. It is two times larger than the CNN and HBO teams.
- Netflix's net profit was 845 million dollars in 2018. It is a good base for shooting new Netflix originals.
- By May 2019, there are more than 1000 original Netflix projects, which distinguish by unusual plots.
- Netflix leased DVDs at the beginning of its history. 4 dollars for a DVD use per week.
- The first video was presented in 2007, and its first own movie was directed 4 years later in 2011.
Netflix online-cinema is available all around the world, except some countries, such as China, Crimea, North Korea, Syria and others.
The question comes to your mind: What does it mean? In other words, in these countries, there is no possibility to launch the official website of Netflix, without saying about the transmission of Netflix series and films.
But this problem is not the only one… Another important obstacle, which prevents the streaming transmission of the best Netflix video, is restrictions. Although, Netflix provides easy access in many countries, and the content of this online-cinema differs a lot!
But what is the reason? The specialists say that the license is the reason why Netflix content differs in different countries all over the world. In the case if Netflix has the legitimate right to broadcast films (or series) in a particular country, it will be available only there.
At the same time, other people reckon that Netflix makes concessions to be available in some states. Thus, if some Netflix originals inadmissible for the region, it will not be broadcasted.
This way, Netflix broadcasts the episodes which don’t contradict the values and standards of a particular country.
On the one hand, it is not good for subscribers, because they have limitations in content. But on the other hand, it gives Netflix the opportunity not to be blocked.
Are there any solutions?
Fortunately, we live in a world of new technologies. And skilled IT specialists have developed a few ways of getting access to such websites as Netflix.
Some of them are more effective, others less. Some of them need payment, others, fortunately, don’t need it.
A VPN, without any doubt, is the best way to get access to Netflix's website and content, despite your location, IP address or limits imposed by the government.
Here you can see 3 main reasons why it is necessary to use a VPN for Netflix:
- VPN will mask your IP, so if you are from China or Syria, Crimea or North Korea, your identity won’t be detected;
- VPNs, I’m going to talk about, offer American servers, which can unblock American Netflix content;
- Due to reliable mechanisms, VPNs cheat Netflix smart system, which is used as opposition for tools, which are used to avoid restrictions.
Although the large number of VPNs for Netflix requires payment, there is a possibility to use free VPN for Netflix still.
The only difficulty is to find the VPN which really works.
That is why I have done some research and prepared the article!
The best VPN for Netflix according to the results of our 6-month long test is ExpressVPN followed by NordVPN and Surfshark VPN. I’ll tell more about them as well as two more providers in this chapter.
These VPN services are paid ones. They are your best bet for watching Netflix. Paid VPNs are efficient and consistent in granting you access to the content only available to those who live in other regions including the US. They don’t have significant drawbacks that are common among. They don’t have significant drawbacks common among free subscriptions that aren’t good enough to unblock streaming.
The services are listed in the order that reflects their price to quality ratio. They are evaluated by me and other experts of CoolTechZone.com based on our frequent tests throughout six months.
1. ExpressVPN for Netflix
There are two reasons why ExpressVPN is first on this list: its really high speed and the most stable streaming unblocking among all the VPNs. At the same time, the user doesn’t have to do any additional settings or searches whatsoever.
What countries are available with ExpressVPN?
The provider supports not only the American version of Netflix but also that of any other country including the UK, JP, FR, AU, IN, and others.
94 countries are available in total.
We have been testing at least 20 regions on a regular basis. Each one showed 100% stability with the top video quality.
Certain popular regions and aggregated speed test results:
|US (United States)||25-60|
|UK (United Kingdom)||30-70|
Prices and peculiarities of the free use:
- The subscription cost depends on its duration. The most lucrative is the 1-year plan - $6.67 per month or $80.04 per year.
- A 7-day trial version is available only on Android. No credit card required.
- The provider guarantees a money-back if you cancel the service within 30 days.
- You can pay for a subscription in a variety of ways including Bitcoin.
ExpressVPN allows effortlessly bypassing geo-restrictions imposed not only by Netflix but also by almost any other streaming service. For example, our tests of its Hulu support also always yields a positive result.
Read ExpressVPN review to learn more!
2. NordVPN for Netflix
The second most effective service is NordVPN. It also is perfectly set up to unblock streaming. All you need to do is choose a location you’re interested in and click on “Connect”. The app will select the server for that country on its own and it will be enough to watch previously inaccessible content in 9 cases out of 10.
What countries are available with NordVPN?
I managed to unblock Netflix content for all the countries I tested (20 out of 59) with NordVPN.
I also have measured the Internet speed for the most popular Netflix locations:
|US (United States)||10-40|
|UK (United Kingdom)||20-60|
I can confirm that I could watch high-quality video content of American Netflix
And what about the prices and opportunities of free use?
- One of the most affordable prices in the market is $3.49 monthly if you buy it for 3 years. But if you want to buy NordVPN for a shorter period of time, you should be ready to buy it for another price. But this policy is common to all services. That is why it is always profitable to buy “long-term” plans.
- You can use a 7-day trial version for mobile phones (Android and IOS).
- Would you like to use it for free for 30 days for all platforms? There are no problems! You can buy a subscription and you cancel it after 29 days. It’s legitimate and easy. It is necessary to contact service support with this request. And after one week you’ll get your money back.
NordVPN supports not only Netflix but also all other streaming services, torrenting, and other activities that VPN technology is used for.
Furthermore, I use NordVPN on computers and mobile gadgets and am fully satisfied with its performance.
Read NordVPN review
3. Surfshark for Netflix
Would you like to get a cheaper VPN service? No problems. Wonderful, professional, dynamically developing service Surfshark can give you the pleasure of stable access to Netflix, not worse than NordVPN or CyberGhost VPN.
What countries are available with Surfshark?
All the locations I’ve tested supported Netflix (20 out of 61).
Surfshark’s speed isn’t any lower than that of NordVPN and was enough to watch videos in high-quality on all the tested locations:
|US (United States)||8-30|
|UK (United Kingdom)||20-50|
Surfshark is placed second only because it has far fewer servers than NordVPN (1000+ versus 5300+).
Prices and money refund:
- it is only $1.99 per month for a 2-year plan. Moreover, Surfshark offers a wonderful price for the annual plan – $2.49 per month.
- And during 30 days you can get your money back if you want. It works the same as two previous VPNs.
You should agree that there is a worthy alternative to free VPN services, which has a lot of problems.
So, let’s move further…
Or… Make a pause and read Surfshark review
A great alternative to the first two providers is the CyberGhost VPN service. The most interesting thing about it is that it has a separate server list for streaming that enumerates countries, names of the video services and TV channels these servers are optimized for:
CyberGhost VPN for Streaming
How to use CyberGhost VPN?
You should run the app (VPN soft is available for all platforms), choose the tab “For streaming”, then choose your location and function. For example, Netflix! Ready! Then the service will do all the things automatically, and you can block the content, in which you are interested.
What countries are available with CyberGhost VPN?
Only three locations are available on the list of servers optimized for Netflix: US, UK, and DE. Just to be sure, I tested other countries too, but they are indeed not supported.
Server speeds are average to high:
|US (United States)||10-30|
|CA (Canada)||Not supported|
|JP (Japan)||Not supported|
|UK (United Kingdom)||30-70|
|AU (Australia)||Not supported|
|IN (India)||Not supported|
CyberGhost VPN is fast enough to stream high-quality video content.
Prices and peculiarities of free use:
- The subscription costs $2.75 per month for a 3-year plan. The subscription for a shorter period of time is less cost-efficient.
- Would you like to have Netflix free streaming for 45 days? You can choose the same way as with NordVPN – you can buy a subscription using your plastic card (there are some difficulties of money-back with other ways of payment) and cancel it the day before the period ends.
CyberGhost VPN is placed third thanks to its affordable price and surefire support of three popular Netflix regions.
Find out more about its features in the detailed CyberGhost VPN review
Unblock-Us was created specifically for streaming. It’s not a usual VPN provider. Unblock-Us provides DNS proxy services. This technology doesn’t hide the user’s IP address but reroutes their traffic so that websites with geo-restriction can’t discover their real location.
The main advantage of this technology is its unlimited speed. Your speed remains the same with Unblock-Us as without it.
How do I use Unblock-Us?
To use Unblock-Us, you don’t need to install any apps. All you have to do is just enter new DNS addresses in your internet connection settings.
But there is a drawback to it, too. After you do that, the addresses of all the sites you visit, not only the streaming ones, will pass through the DNS servers of Unblock-Us. It can cause issues when you access certain local safety-conscious websites. So there is a downside to how simple it is to set up Unblock-Us: you may need to change the network settings every time before and after you watch video content.
What countries are available with Unblock-Us?
27 regions on the paid version and 16 on the free one are available for Netflix. I have tested them all and confirmed their 100% efficiency in unblocking content. My internet speed remained the same as it was without using Unblock-Us.
|US (United States)||Unlimited|
|UK (United Kingdom)||Unlimited|
Prices and peculiarities of the free use:
- The subscription price depends on its duration and equals $4.99 per month or $49.90 per year (saving 20%).
- The free trial lasts for 7 days and allows unblocking Netflix for 16 regions including the United States. No credit card required.
- A refund is only possible within 30 days when subscribing for a year.
- The only payment method is with a credit card.
Unblock-US bypasses geo-restrictions of streaming services with great efficiency but can be unwieldy due to the necessity to change the network settings of the device. Additionally, it costs more than some of the just as effective regular VPN services.
Read UnblockUS review to learn more!
First of all, I would like to point out that all VPN services, I describe here, have been tested, and that is why I can state it for sure that these 5 free VPN providers can help you to avoid restrictions and watch Netflix as if you live in one of the American cities. But with some limits.
I tested more than 50 VPNs and, unfortunately, I haven’t found any VPN provider which can give unlimited access to Netflix. In some cases, Netflix identified the VPN, and in other cases, the VPN blocked the website and offered a paid premium subscription for unblocking. That is why Netflix free watching is available only with some restrictions from a few VPNs, which I will publish for you.
If you need permanent unlimited access to Netflix, it is easier to use paid VPN services, which are described in this article.
And now it is high time to find out more about the ways of using free VPNs for Netflix.
Perhaps, the best VPN provider with free access to Netflix is ProtonVPN.
Which peculiarities does ProtonVPN have?
- Free plan with limited speed and choice of locations, but with unlimited time and traffic volume;
- A full 7-day trial version.
I tried to unblock American Netflix using the first variant and I made it! The only disadvantage is that you can watch the content of poor quality. And also there are some problems with connection, which take place on the 8th day when the trial version ends.
But it is totally free! And you don’t have to pay any money.
If you need a high-quality “image”, you can use the fast servers for 7 days and then upgrade to “Plus”.
How to use ProtonVPN for free? Choose the free plan here:
Then type in your e-mail address, and you will get a confirmation code to finish your registration. Ready! You will be provided with the link, through which you can download the app.
After the setup, you can use VPN for free for Netflix and other activities.
What platforms does ProtonVPN support?
ProtonVPN works with Windows, Mac, Android and iOS. All these platforms have the same terms of free use.
Read ProtonVPN review to learn more!
SaferVPN can boast of popularity neither among the users nor among the analytics. But, nevertheless, it can be used for Netflix free watching.
I succeeded in unblocking it for free from the first effort for the US region.
Why does it have a third position?
- special servers for Netflix in the US;
- you don’t need to use money during a trial period;
- good price for the payment of services (from $2.5 per month).
- SaferVPN is available on all platforms:
- you can use it for free during 24 hours only or you can get 500 MB per month (if you use extension for Chrome).
TunnelBear is considered to be one of the best VPN providers. Its unique and handy animated apps for Android, Windows, Apple, and Linux give the opportunity to unblock Netflix from any location: when you travel with your smartphone or when you are at home in front of the computer screen.
You can do it for free, using a free tariff plan.
What are the restrictions of using the free plan of TunnelBear VPN?
Unfortunately, I can’t cover it. TunnelBear VPN capacity is limited for the free tariff (only 500 – 1000 MB are available). That is why Netflix streaming is limited.
Who can use TunnelBear VPN for free for Netflix?
- If Netflix's official online cinema is available in a place where you live.
- If the library for your region differs a bit.
In other cases, free traffic won’t be enough for you.
But why does TunnelBear have the second place?
- no time limit;
- no necessity to enter payment details for a free version, you can register some accounts from different e-mails;
- the inconvenience of traffic limits;
- no add.
How to use TunnelBear VPN for free?
Although TunnelBear is a paid service, it offers to its subscribers a free tariff plan as a bonus.
In contrast with some VPN providers, TunnelBear can be used for free and for a long period of time because it is not a free trial version but a free package.
- run TunnelBear VPN on your device only in the case if the video is blocked for your region;
- choose the low quality of the video in the account settings.
Increase your traffic from 500 MB to 1000 MB by means of a tweet TunnelBear:
- register several accounts using different e-mails;
- monitor your traffic.
These simple pieces of advice can help you to prolong you TunnelBear free traffic plan
Read TunnelBear VPN review to learn more!
If there are some problems with the VPNs, which are listed below, so pay your attention to VyprVPN. It provides its users with a full free 3-day trial version.
What are the benefits of VyprVPN? VyprVPN has the patented function Chameleon, which allows avoiding blocking of VPN connections in the countries with censorship.
This way, you can not only unblock VPN content but also get access to the website if other VPNs don’t work in your region. It can be a problem in China, Egypt, Turkmenistan and other countries.
How to use VyprVPN for free? If you have a credit card or PayPal, nothing could be simpler. Surprisingly, it is the only way to get VyprVPN for free. The point is that for the registration of trial version, it is necessary to subscribe to one of 4 tariff plans.
After that, set up the app on any platform and connect to the location, you are interested in.
HidemyAss is popular among people who look for a free VPN. Probably, the memorable name plays an important role, or perhaps, a free 7-day trial version. It is the most long-term period among competitors.
But is it so good for Netflix? Yes and no.
What benefits does HidemyAss have? You can easily find a server that can solve the problem of Netflix restrictions.
You don’t need any additional settings.
What I really don’t like about HidemyAss? There is no possibility to get access to the VPN without payment information and subscription. If VyprVPN compensates it with the function Chameleon, that HidemyAss doesn’t give any additional opportunities for Netflix.
Moreover, not all servers are fast to watch high-quality content.
Read HideMyAss review to learn more!
💬 How do I use VPN for Netflix?
It’s so easy! All the VPN services listed in this review don’t require any extra settings. All you need to do is:
- download and install the software for the platform you need (all the VPNs on the list work on every OS);
- choose a region;
- launch the VPN.
It doesn’t matter if you log into your Netflix account before you start the VPN up or after. You just have to turn it on for the required region before you play a movie, series, or show.
Don’t be afraid to pick a wrong server, disconnect from the VPN, or change your region. My account hasn’t been blocked once during my tests even though I used many unreliable VPN services, changes my location, and frequently watched movies without a VPN.
If you use the VPN services we recommend, you’ll be able to unblock the region you need without any trouble and watch video content in high quality for as long as you like.
🏆 What free VPN is the best for American Netflix?
The best free VPN service for Netflix US is ProtonVPN.
Unfortunately, as of this day (January 2020), there isn’t a free VPN provider that can unblock Netflix with no time or traffic limitations.
Furthermore, each month, there are fewer VPNs that manage to do that task. It’s entirely possible that in the future, geo-restricted content will be only unblockable with paid services.
💻 Where to download VPN for Netflix?
Every VPN provider on this list has detailed instructions on how to download an app for any platform (Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, TV platforms).
A paid VPN can be downloaded from its website or installed from the Google Play Market or Apple App Store. To turn it on, you’ll need to sign up by entering your email and to pay for the subscription you choose.
The only way it’s different to download a free VPN is that you don’t have to pay before you launch it for the first time.
There are also VPNs that don’t offer software or aren’t available on some platforms. To use such VPN services, you have to install a third-party VPN client or configure the VPN protocol built into the system by using config files provided by the VPN. Such services did not make it to our Top 10.
👌 Is it safe to use a VPN for streaming?
Yes, it is absolutely safe. VPN technology is perfectly legal and is used by hundreds of millions of people all over the world with different goals. Virtual networks have been used to stream Netflix since the very day when its content started being separated by regions.
🔓 Can my account be blocked?
Unlikely. We haven’t run into any block despite using a single regular subscription to perform all our tests. This subscription has been in use for more than two years now and “seen” dozens of different VPN services.
The stand of VPN providers and video services becomes harsher by month. More and more IP addresses are blacklisted by Netflix while providers add new servers and turn streaming support off on their free plans to increase the ‘’lifespan’’ of their IPs.
Unfortunately, the ability to unblock content from a different region for free is becoming rarer. At the same time, the costs of the paid services have reached their historical low. Nowadays, the prices of VPNs can be significantly lower than those of video services’ subscriptions.
We aren’t trying to convince you to pay for a VPN. We’ve done all we could to provide you with an opportunity to use it for free. However, the current trend is that it’s more convenient and efficient to use the services that invest the money they make into Netflix support.
CoolTechZone.com will continue to follow the situation in the market and update this review as soon as it is needed.
Share your opinion, experience, or questions in the comments below the article.