How to watch Disney Plus Hotstar in US in 2022
Hotstar, now rebranded as Disney+ Hotstar after the merger with the Walt Disney Company, is an Indian streaming platform active since 2015. It primarily includes various programs from Star India's television networks and now content usually available on the standalone Disney Plus service.
Hotstar was available in the US until the end of 2021, after which Disney discontinued the service. United States citizens and Indian expats were left without access to the vast library of shows, movies, educational content, and live cricket matches.
But it’s not something that a Virtual Private Network (VPN) can’t fix – easily watch Disney+ Hotstar in the US by connecting to a server in India. This technology ‘replaces’ your actual IP address with an Indian one, granting access to video material only residents of this region can view.
Best VPN for Disney+ Hotstar: shortlist
- NordVPN: the best VPN for Disney+ Hotstar with plenty of servers in India, excellent geo-block bypassing capabilities, and lightning-fast speeds suitable for streaming.
- Surfshark VPN: a great Disney Plus Hotstar VPN with extra security tools, no device limit, and the WireGuard tunneling protocol for optimal performance.
- Atlas VPN: the cheapest VPN for Disney+ Hotstar with unlimited simultaneous connections, easy-to-use mobile apps, and protection against malware.
- IPVanish: an excellent Disney Plus Hotstar VPN with broad device compatibility, no device limit, and antivirus software.
- PrivateVPN: a suitable VPN for Disney+ Hotstar with affordable plans, great speeds, and the option to pay with Bitcoin.
Table of contents:
- Why do you need a VPN to watch Hotstar?
- Best VPNs for Hotstar: detailed list
- How to sign up to Hotstar from anywhere
- How to watch Hotstar on different devices
- Can’t access Hotstar with a VPN?
- Free VPN for Hotstar
- Subscribe to a Hotstar VPN with servers in India. NordVPN has numerous options and speeds to accommodate comfortable streaming.
- Set up the VPN client on the device of your choice. Disney+ Hotstar supports iOS, Android, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Smart TV, and Roku devices. While VPNs offer dedicated apps for mobile operating systems, not all have software for the rest of the mentioned platforms. If that’s the case, you’ll have to configure the VPN on your router manually.
- Connect to a server in India. Perform an IP and DNS leak test to ensure your actual online identity isn’t exposed, as this would block you from accessing Disney Plus Hotstar.
- If you want to subscribe, create an account. Using Hotstar India costs nothing, and you don't need to register to use the service. However, Premium and Super subscriptions are available at a small cost if you want extra content without ads.
- Browse the library and watch anything you want!
Now that it’s operating under a new parent company, Hotstar is expanding its global reach. Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Canada, and the United Kingdom have regional libraries and subscription plans. The United States of America was among them once.
Unfortunately, Disney+ Hotstar pulled its services from the US at the end of 2021, leaving many Indians residing there without content from their homeland. Even those living in countries where the streaming platform works per usual do not get the complete video collection.
It all boils down to copyright licensing and geo-blocks that enforce these restrictions. And the only way to bypass them is by getting an Indian IP address, which, luckily, can be done with the best VPNs. These nifty tools grant you access to India Hotstar in just a few clicks, and you don’t need to do much apart from clicking on the correct server.
Furthermore, this technology secures your internet activities in general, helping avoid third-party monitoring, Internet Service Provider (ISP) throttling, and potential cyber threats. The fact Disney Plus Hotstar VPNs are helpful not just for streaming is the cherry on top – they allow safe torrenting without limits and unblock banned websites.
A few key things before I begin. Most streaming VPNs will do the trick and unblock Hotstar in the US, but for everything to run smoothly, they have to include:
- Servers in India with plenty of IP addresses
- As many simultaneous connections as possible
- Dedicated apps not only for major operating systems but streaming devices as well
- The essential security tools and latest tunneling protocols
The best VPNs for Disney+ Hotstar that ended up on this list have all of these and then some. They successfully evaded Hotstar’s VPN detection mechanisms, and I was able to create an account. Moreover, the Indian shows I viewed were in crisp HD quality with barely noticeable buffering.
- 5400+ servers in 60+ countries
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- SmartPlay feature for devices that don’t support VPN technology
- Obfuscated servers to avoid VPN detection
- Proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol
- Dedicated apps for lots of platforms
- Doesn’t have a router app
- Only 6 simultaneous devices
NordVPN holds the title of the best VPN for Hotstar, and with good reason. It offers a robust security tool package, helps evade tracking, and doesn’t participate in user monitoring. But that’s just a fraction of what makes it great in this case.
This VPN’s in-house NordLynx tunneling protocol is one of the fastest in the market, so evenings spent watching Santhwanam or City of Dreams won’t be ruined by lag. Then there are the 30+ servers in India, guaranteeing access to the streaming platform even if one of them gets blocked.
Since Disney is notorious for having VPN-traffic detection tools, you’ll be happy to find obfuscated servers among the specialized selection. These cover up any tracks that a VPN is being utilized in the first place, allowing you to access services without the fear of getting found out.
NordVPN has dedicated applications for major operating systems, plus Android TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick, and even a Kodi add-on. Furthermore, you can use it on devices that don’t support VPNs with the SmartPlay feature. And while it doesn’t have a router app, you can still manually configure it on this device quite easily.
- 3200+ servers in 65+ countries
- RAM-only servers that don’t store data
- No device limit
- WireGuard tunneling protocol
- Software Defined Networking for better stability and speed
- Smart DNS for devices that don’t support VPNs
- The no-logs policy hasn’t been audited
- Some extra features are paywalled
Another Disney+ Hotstar VPN worthy of your time is Surfshark VPN. It’s an excellent mix of security, performance, and versatility, the last of which can be attributed to the service’s sizable tool roster. Besides the usual features you’d expect from a VPN, you also get CleanWeb (malware protection), Bypasser (split tunneling), MultiHop (double the encryption), and more.
The next-gen WireGuard protocol isn’t as refined as NordLynx in terms of speed and security, but it gets the job done and does it well. I’ve tried several different servers in Mumbai, Chennai, and Indore, and let me tell you, the video playback on Hotstar was as smooth as butter. I’m certain Surfshark’s decision to connect all servers to one immense network with the Nexus update plays a part.
Handy Camouflage and NoBorders modes are here to lend a hand when you want to cover up your digital VPN tracks and break through heavy internet censorship. It’s also nice that you can essentially do that on any device you have since the provider doesn’t limit simultaneous connections.
Surfshark VPN offers apps for major operating systems and has Android TV and Amazon Firestick covered. Then Smart DNS has you covered if your go-to device to watch Disney Plus Hotstar can’t run VPN software natively, i.e., Smart TVs or consoles.
3. Atlas VPN
- 750+ servers in 37+ countries
- Split tunneling for routing VPN traffic via select apps
- WireGuard for extra-fast speeds
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Torrenting enabled on all servers
- Can pay with cryptocurrencies
- Cannot configure it on a router
- Lack of Stealth VPN or similar features
If you can’t afford to spend more than necessary on a VPN for Hotstar, the right choice would be Atlas VPN. The subscription plans cost very little, especially considering the service’s great performance and powerful tool suite. Plus, it works like a charm when you want to access geo-blocked content in general.
With plenty of IP addresses in India, Disney+ Hotstar or any India-only platform is within your grasp. Thankfully, the WireGuard tunneling protocol is also available to facilitate high video quality no matter where you’re watching from.
While Atlas VPN has apps for major platforms (Android TV and Firestick included), there’s a notable lack of router support. Adding to that, the service doesn’t have a Smart DNS feature or anything like that. So, for now, the device choice is narrow, but at least you can use the VPN on multiple devices simultaneously without limits.
Those who have heard of this provider already know about the free Atlas VPN version. It’s excellent for what it sets out to do, but I can’t recommend it for Hotstar simply because it doesn’t offer servers in India. Plus, it isn’t optimized for streaming.
- 2000+ servers in 50+ countries
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- VIPRE antivirus for real-time protection
- WireGuard tunneling protocol
- Provider owns and operates all hardware
- Can’t pay for the service anonymously
IPVanish is a reliable Disney Plus Hotstar VPN with features geared towards maintaining security. There’s no user surveillance happening behind closed doors (as indicated by Leviathan’s badge of approval), and you can ensure all the devices you have benefit from an extra layer of anonymity.
Moving on, you can select which specific city you want to connect to – for Hotstar, there are several convenient ones in New Delhi and Mumbai. Naturally, I used the WireGuard protocol and never noticed any significant stream quality or performance drops.
Besides split tunneling (which encrypts only the apps you select) and SOCKS5 proxies (useful for faster torrenting), users can enable the Scramble OpenVPN traffic feature. It works like Stealth VPN in that it helps prevent specific mechanisms, like Deep Packet Inspection (DPI), from detecting traces of VPN usage.
In terms of platform support, IPVanish offers the same as Surfshark and Atlas VPN, with a bonus of ChromeOS. If you’re aiming for full household device coverage, freely set up the VPN on your router and connect them to the newly-secured network.
- 200+ servers in 63+ countries
- High Quality Network for great speeds
- Stealth VPN for avoiding detection
- Great for streaming and torrenting
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Doesn’t support the WireGuard protocol
- Not all apps have the same features
I present PrivateVPN for those who want a Hotstar VPN with a focus on torrenting. It includes all the security essentials you need for masking your online activities at a considerably low price. Plus, there’s a handy Application Guard tool that terminates chosen apps in case the VPN connection fails.
It’s hard not to notice that this provider doesn’t include WireGuard in its tunneling protocol list. Despite that, I had no trouble getting crisp quality on Disney Plus Hotstar using the well-established OpenVPN protocol. By now, it’s no secret that such performance is made possible with PrivateVPN buying Internet capacity straight from the source.
As I’ve mentioned earlier, this VPN specializes in P2P file sharing. Torrenting is enabled on all locations, and you also get several useful tools: split tunneling, SOCKS5 proxies, and port forwarding, with the latter balancing your download/upload ratio.
There’s nothing new on the dedicated apps front with PrivateVPN, either. You’ll be able to use it on Hotstar-supported platforms with the right software or by connecting them to a VPN-configured router. All in all, you’ll get to enjoy the entire India-only library.
The Disney+ Hotstar sign-up means you’re subscribing to the service, and anyone with the correct IP can create an account. Generally, the streaming platform is free to use, but that’s not the only user tier. You can get additional perks with different subscription plans if you're willing to pay extra.
|Ads||Regular ads||Personalized ads||Ad-free|
Regional versions of Hotstar, of course, have different prices and only one paid subscription tier. They also don’t have content available in India. Let’s go alphabetically by country:
- Canada – an annual plan (C$ 49.99/year)
- Indonesia – a monthly plan (Rp 39,000/month) and an annual plan (Rp 199,000/year)
- Malaysia – a three-month period plan (RM 54.90 total)
- Singapore – an annual plan (SG$ 69.98/year)
- Thailand – a monthly plan (BHT 99.00/month) and an annual plan (BHT 799.00/year)
- The United Kingdom – a monthly plan (GBP 5.99/month) and an annual plan (GBP 49.99/year)
A Hotstar subscription in the USA will cost approximately $11.5/year for the Super plan and $19.26 for the Premium plan. It’s really cheap for the massive library of content you’ll be getting.
- Download a VPN suitable for Disney+ Hotstar India. NordVPN is the best VPN for streaming.
- Install the client on the device of your choice. Most providers have dedicated apps for major operating systems and some of the more popular streaming devices.
- Pick and connect to a server located in India. Full Disney Plus Hotstar services are available only in this country.
- Navigate to the Hotstar website and click on the Subscribe button. Select your plan and enter the needed info.
- Watch premium content and unlimited live sports!
As mentioned in the previous section, Hotstar is available in countries such as Canada, the UK, Indonesia, etc. The problem is that their libraries are severely limited and don’t include much Indian content, so people are missing out on prime-time television. Thankfully, there’s nothing that some VPN magic can’t fix.
- Select a VPN provider with excellent geo-block bypassing capabilities. NordVPN excels at breaking through tough regional restrictions.
- Set up the VPN software on a PC, phone, or router. Get apps for the devices you’ll be watching Hotstar India on.
- Connect to an India server. Some services allow users to pick servers in specific cities if it’s something beneficial to you.
- Go to Hotstar’s homepage or open the app, pick any movie you want to watch, and enjoy!
- Subscribe to a Hotstar VPN. NordVPN facilitates lightning-fast speeds thanks to its proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol.
- Install the client on your preferred device. Disney Plus Hotstar supports many platforms, so double-check what dedicated apps the VPN has for which devices.
- Select a server in India. The VPN will ‘change’ your actual IP address into an Indian one, allowing access to Hotstar.
- Open Disney+ Hotstar and browse the whole library!
You can view Hotstar on a sizable array of devices – PCs, mobile phones, even Smart TVs. I recommend picking a VPN service that covers these platforms by offering dedicated apps.
- Pick a Windows-compatible VPN. NordVPN works great with many major operating systems.
- Download the program and install it on your computer
- Log into your VPN account, and connect to a server of your choice in India
- Go to the Disney+ Hotstar website
- Select what kind of things you want to watch and get going!
- Download a Mac-compatible VPN. If you want a robust set of features, NordVPN is the way to go.
- Install the client on your PC
- Enter the correct VPN login info, and select an Indian server
- Navigate to Hotstar’s official page
- Either subscribe for premium content or pick any show available for free!
- Choose an iOS-compatible VPN. NordVPN is considered the best VPN overall, and it will benefit Apple users as well.
- Get the VPN app from the Apple App Store on your iPhone
- Once the setup is finished, log in and connect to a server located in India
- Get the Hotstar mobile app or open it if you already have it
- Browse the full India-only library!
- Select an Android-compatible VPN. Those who want an easy-to-understand app with full VPN functionality will find NordVPN’s user-friendly applications appealing.
- Find the appropriate VPN app on the Google Play Store and download it
- Wait for the setup to finish, log into your VPN account, and pick a server from India
- Open the Hotstar mobile app or download it if you don’t have it
- Explore the extensive Hotstar TV show & movie selection!
- Subscribe to a VPN with router support. NordVPN is one of the fastest VPNs in the market, and you can manually configure it on a router.
- Set up the VPN on your router, pick an Indian server, and connect your Smart TV to the now secure network
- Navigate to the Smart TV’s app store, search for the Hotstar application and download it
- Open Disney+ Hotstar and stream anything you want!
Disney Plus Hotstar services are available on several streaming devices, namely Amazon Fire TV Stick, Apple TV, and Roku. You can even get an add-on for it on Roku. Just remember to pick a VPN best suited for all these different platforms.
- Download the best VPN for Roku. NordVPN fully supports Roku software, so you’ll have no issues using it on this device.
- Set up the VPN on your router
- Connect to a server located in India, and then connect your Roku device to the newly-secured network
- Look for the Hotstar channel in Roku’s menu and add it
- Congrats, you can now watch India-only Hotstar content!
- Choose the best VPN for Apple TV. If you’re looking for user-friendly applications, then NordVPN is the right choice.
- Download and install the dedicated VPN application from Apple TV’s app store. If the provider doesn’t have one, you’ll have to set up the software on your router.
- Pick an appropriate Indian server
- Go back to the app store and look for the Hotstar application – download it
- Open it after the installation is complete and catch up on your favorite Indian shows!
- Subscribe to the best VPN for Amazon Fire TV Stick. Those prioritizing a smooth streaming experience will benefit from NordVPN’s NordLynx protocol.
- Get the dedicated VPN application from Amazon’s app store. If, by chance, the VPN service has none, manually configure it on your router.
- Connect to a server located in India
- Open or get the Hotstar application from the app store
- Tune into Indian Hotstar without a hitch!
Some users have reported issues with their VPNs not working with Disney+ Hotstar. They’re connected to a server in India, yet the website is still inaccessible.
Have no fear, weary Bollywood enthusiasts, there’s nothing that some tinkering on your end can’t fix. Here’s what might be throwing a metaphorical wrench into the works:
- VPN IP address is blocked – Hotstar is known for blocking massively-used servers, and you likely landed on one of them. No problem, just pick another one and see if that helps.
- Actual IP is leaking – check whether your IP and DNS are leaking, toggle all the necessary VPN security tools on, and clear your device’s or browser’s cookie cache to get rid of data that might be exposing you
- Wrong protocol – sometimes the fault lies with the tunneling protocol if it cannot evade detection. Cycle through the available ones until you find one that works.
- Outdated software – if you want the VPN to work as intended, you must keep it up to date. Double-check whether any updates are pending and download them if that’s the case.
- Corrupt TAP drivers – this is more relevant if you’ve been setting up various VPNs on your router. The TAP drivers were possibly messed up in the process with all these different software configurations, making you unable to access Hotstar India. It won’t hurt to delete the current ones and install a fresh batch.
Of course, you could also contact your VPN provider’s customer support. In some cases, the service just isn’t capable of circumventing geo-blocks. And if you end up in this corner, it’s time to switch to a Hotstar VPN that can do what it advertises.
Ah yes, and how could I forget about the numerous free VPNs that boldly claim they will unblock the entire Disney+ Hotstar library at no cost. It’s all lies, lies I tell you.
First of all, you’ll be lucky if the free service even has a single server in India. Most can only offer 4 locations at best, and these tend to be big countries like the US or the UK. If a miracle happens and you find a provider with connection options in this country, stringent data caps and speed limits will leave you staring at an endless buffering wheel.
Other downsides include extensive data logging which many free providers don’t have the decency to hide. And with India’s new data retention laws forcing VPN and similar services to collect and store user information for a long time, costless services will have no choice but to do so if they wish to continue operating.
People strapped for cash can ‘cheat the system,’ though, so to speak. Many premium VPNs offer free trials that grant you access to the full tool suite and server list for a limited amount of time. Simply use them for the available duration and switch to another trial once it ends. You won’t have to pay a single penny and will be able to watch Hotstar in the US.
Since Star India and Disney now run Hotstar, there’s a colossal amount of video content you can dive into. I’d even say you’re getting the best of both worlds – various shows & movies produced in India and the full Disney+ roster that includes originals, animations, tons of famous franchises, etc.
Currently trending content on Disney+ Hotstar
|TV shows||Escaype Live, Ghum Hai Kisi Ke Pyaar Mein, College Romance, Anupamaa, Rudra: The Edge Of Darkness, Saath Nibhana Saathiya, The Great Indian Murder|
|Movies||Kaithi, Bhool Bhulaiyaa, Kaathuvaakula Rendu Kaadhal, Hridayam, 12th Man, Mersal, Bāhubali: The Beginning|
|Sports||Formula 1, Cricket, Martial arts, Football, Khelo India, Kabaddi|
|Disney+||Daredevil, The Time Traveller’s Wife, How I Met Your Mother, Pirates of the Caribbean, Death on the Nile, WandaVision, True Detective, Family Guy|
I want to remind you that what you can watch depends on the regional Hotstar version and whether you’re subscribed or not. Those who want unrestricted access to everything on the roster must connect to the Indian version of Disney Plus Hotstar and purchase a premium plan.
Furthermore, if the government issues a data request, VPNs have to hand over all info without any questions. Some experts believe India is slowly moving towards banning VPN technology in general, which wouldn’t be surprising as the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Home Affairs has asked officials to do so in 2021.
In response, services like Surfshark and ExpressVPN are shutting down their physical servers in India. Many of them believe that users have a right to keep their online activities private and aren’t keen on breaking their zero-logs policies anytime soon.
Disney+ Hotstar is one of India's most popular streaming platforms, boasting one of the most extensive video libraries in the market. Not only can you watch local shows and movies, but you can also view everything Disney has put out over the years.
Sadly, this service is not available worldwide, and the countries that do have a version of it don’t get the complete experience. The US used to be among the regions that Horstar catered to, but, alas, everything’s been shut down since 2021.
Disney Plus Hotstar-starved Americans can continue watching their favorite Indian content with reliable VPNs. You just have to pick a provider like NordVPN with plenty of servers in India, the latest tunneling protocols for excellent performance, and robust tools with geo-block bypassing capabilities.
Plus, this technology helps keep yourself anonymous on the internet, protecting yourself from cyber threats and securing online activities like torrenting. So, it’s a win-win situation on all fronts.
Maybe you’ve found some other suitable VPNs for Hotstar? If so, share them in the comments, and I’ll consider updating the article.
You may also like to read:
Which VPN can I use for Hotstar?
I recommend using the best Hotstar VPNs I’ve listed in this article. They have servers in India, excellent speeds that won’t ruin your streaming experience, and broad device compatibility.
Does Hotstar block VPN?
Yes, Disney+ Hotstar blocks VPN IP addresses if the system detects VPN traffic on it. That’s why it’s recommended to utilize services with many servers and tools like Stealth VPN meant to hide VPN usage.
How can I watch Hotstar outside India with a free VPN?
You can’t watch Hotstar outside India with a free VPN because most costless services don’t have servers in India. Furthermore, they tend to be unreliable when it comes to bypassing geo-blocks and hiding your actual IP.
How do I make Hotstar not detect VPN?
Before you try to enter Disney Plus Hotstar, turn on the Stealth VPN feature if it is available. It was explicitly created to mask any VPN traces that anti-VPN mechanisms could detect and block access to the streaming platform.
What is the best VPN to watch Hotstar?
NordVPN is the best VPN to watch Hotstar. Its network includes several servers in India, you can use it on virtually any device with a Wi-Fi connection, and it facilitates speeds excellent for buffering-free streaming.