Roku with VPN: Setup and VPN List
The information that is mentioned in this article will be helpful for you while using Roku players of all models and Roku TV as well.
You have a Roku player, but you are not located in the USA? Not all video content is available for you? Not a big deal!
In this review, I will tell you how to unblock streaming services for Roku in every region using a VPN.
For this, you will need (I will describe the process in detail):
- To choose a VPN for Roku according to the desired server locations and video quality
- Set up a VPN on your PC or Mac
- Share Wi-Fi
- Connect Roku to the new Wi-Fi hotspot
- Change your location in the Roku settings
That’s it. After these actions, your Roku player will connect to a VPN automatically and all content of the chosen country will be available to you.
First, you have to choose a VPN service. I will offer you 3 alternatives that worked perfectly after I have set them up, using the above-mentioned scheme. They are also one of the best VPN services almost for every purpose.
Quick navigation to the sections:
- The best VPN for Roku
- NordVPN – an ideal option for Roku
- Surfshark – the cheapest VPN for Roku
- ExpressVPN – premium VPN for Roku
- VPN setup
- The usage of other VPN servers
- Peculiarities of the usage of VPN with Roku
I have a word about free VPNs before presenting the list of best providers. Unfortunately, I have not found any fast free and limitless VPN providers that would be able to unblock Netflix and could be set up on a router or desktop with the activation of a virtual router.
That’s why it’s better to use paid VPNs for Roku. All providers from my list offer a risk-free money refund.
NordVPN is ideal for Roku. It is an advanced VPN service based in Panama. It is one of the best multi-purpose VPN. It is suitable for Netflix and other streaming services. That is, of course, the determining factor for choosing this VPN for Roku.
NordVPN was successfully tested for Roku through a virtual router as well as on PC and Mac.
The distinctive feature of NordVPN is the widest server network. It has more than 5000 servers in 60 countries.
VPN applications for desktops are more functional and allow not only using Virtual Private Network technology but also adding extended functionality:
- Kill Switch (doesn’t allow “slipping” the real IP when reconnecting or if there are some failures);
- CyberSec (protection against attacks and malware-infected websites);
- Double VPN (routs data via two VPN servers);
- Custom DNS (the possibility to change your DNS);
- Obfuscated server (servers that are able to mask traffic for bypassing censorship in China, Egypt, Iran, and others);
- P2P servers (special servers for safe torrenting);
- Dedicated IP (static IP);
- Up to 6 simultaneous connections.
I recommend NordVPN for Roku because it has fast servers that support high-resolution video broadcasting. Of course, if your ISP (Internet Service Provider) allows such quality.
Besides, NordVPN has established itself as one of the safest VPN providers. VPN safety depends on the quality of data encryption, lack of vulnerabilities in VPN protocol, and authentication reliability.
All these characteristics are at a high level. The data is encrypted with the help of AES-256, which is imposable to break even with the help of the most powerful computers. The VPN uses the best VPN protocols: OpenVPN and IPsec. NordVPN has also successfully passed our test for IP leaks.
As for pricing, NordVPN is one of the best providers – the price range is from $3.49 per month. The longer the period of your subscription is, the lower is the price.
- $3.49 per month ($125.64 for 3 years)
- $4,99 per month ($119.76 for 2 years)
- $6,99 per month ($83.88 for 1 year)
- $11,95 per month for 1 month
It’s convenient that the VPN gives a possibility to get your money back within 30 days after paying for the service. Just contact their customer support. You don’t have to mention any considerable reason for a money refund. Your desire to cancel the subscription will be enough.
Being an expert, I recommend NordVPN because I can rely on it. I regularly test it and use it myself on various devices.
Or read our full NordVPN review.
It is difficult to compete with the leading VPN services, but Surfshark is very good at it. The provider has been launched a little over a year ago, but it has already overtaken other VPNs. Now it is steadily in our list of the leading VPNs.
It doesn’t have such wide server park as NordVPN or ExpressVPN. However, it has the best price in the VPN industry.
It costs only $1.99 per month and there are almost no tasks Surfshark couldn’t deal with. It is even able to get past the Great Firewall of China.
What is needed to run well with Roku? - Decent speed, Netflix support, simple installation process, and reliable connection without any leaks.
Surfshark is good at all these aspects. However, some Surfshark’s servers provide inappropriate speed for HD videos. Though they are located out the needed locations for Roku. Anyway, you will be able to find a suitable location for high-quality videos among 800 servers in 50 countries.
Surfshark has passed the tests for Roku on a router and while Wi-Fi distribution from Mac and Windows desktops.
Surfshark is suitable not only for Roku. It is, like NordVPN, has extended functionality and its own peculiarities:
- Use small packets (it allows to enhance stability for some mobile networks);
- The choice of encryption protocols (AES-256 or Chacha20Poly1305) and tunneling protocols (IKEv2 or OpenVPN);
- The ability to switch on the VPN for certain applications and URLs;
- MultiHop (gives an extra layer of security);
- 6 simultaneous connections.
The slow servers which are not appropriate for streaming HD videos are the only drawback.
“Bulletproof” encryption and the absence of IP leaks guarantee security, whereas No logs policy ensures privacy.
Great news for users from China. Surfshark provides obfuscation. It’s immensely useful for bypassing strict censorship.
- $1.99 per month for 2 years ($47.74)
- $5.99 per month for 1 year ($71.88)
- $11.95 per month for 1 month
You can also get your money back within 30 days by contacting their 24/7 customer support.
Taking into consideration all benefits of Surfshark, the provider is not worse than NordVPN. However, the price for it is lower. Therefore, if you spend more time in search of a faster server, you will be able to save your money significantly.
Or read the full Surfshark review.
ExpressVPN is a premium VPN service that was launched 10 years ago. It offers decent speeds and 2000+ servers in 94 countries.
It guarantees Netflix unblocking and allows using two methods of setting for Roku (visual instruction). However, its high prices (from $8.32 per month) move the VPN into the third position of our rating.
What unique features does the VPN have?
For Roku users, it will be useful to read step-by-step instruction on how to set up the VPN for Roku.
If you use the VPN for unblocking channels, you will see the true value of the technology that makes it possible for applications and servers not to store data on a hard drive. This is achieved by the innovative technology - TrustedServer. Due to it none of your personal data will be revealed in case of hacking into a server.
Another technology is Private DNS. It guarantees that websites that you visit won’t be intercepted in private third-party DNS. Unlike other VPN providers, ExpressVPN set up DNS for the same servers that are used by customers while connecting to the Internet. It gives the maximum security level for data protection.
Speed test results are not worse than NordVPN has.
The main drawbacks of the VPN are high prices and the absence of obfuscation for bypassing firewalls in China.
- $8.32 per month for 1 year ($99.95)
- $9.99 per month for 6 months ($59.95)
- $12.95 per month for 1 month
You can also get your money back within 30 days. For this, just contact the 24/7 ExpressVPN customer support.
Due to the fast servers and detailed instructions on how to set up the VPN, ExpressVPN is even better for Roku than NordVPN and Surfshark. But the price…
ExpressVPN is a premium service, it provides premium-quality for the respective price. Anyway, it is up to you what service to choose. The instruction on how to set up the VPN for Roku is here, in this review.
Or read the full ExpressVPN review
After choosing and downloading the VPN for Roku, you have to create a virtual router for your desktop or set up a Wi-Fi router. I will start with a more effective method – a virtual router.
Necessary steps for PC:
Note: Recent Intel Wireless Adapters don't support the wireless hosted network on Windows 10
- “Windows” + S
- Type “cmd” in a search bar
- Right-click “Command prompt”
- Click “Run as administrator”
- netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=roku key=password (“password” is your password)
- netsh wlan start hostednetwork
- Click “Ctrl” + R
- Launch “ncpa.cpl”
- Find active “Local Area Connection X”, where X is the largest found number
- Remember the full name
- Find adapter with a name of your VPN. For example:
- Right-click “Properties”
- Sharing (Authentication)
- Tick “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”
- In the drop-down menu, choose an adapter that you remembered in point 10.
- Click “OK”
Do not forget to choose a location in the application for desktop after Wi-Fi setup
To share VPN connection on Mac, you have to connect your Mac to the network with the help of an Ethernet wire cable.
- Click Apple logo -> System Preferences… -> Network
- Create a VPN connection as shown in the screenshot below:
- You can choose between IKEv2 or L2TP depending on what your VPN service provides. For example, NordVPN supports IKEv2.
- Then you have to enter a server address (here are NordVPN addresses), Remote ID (any, for example, NordVPN US).
If you have chosen L2TP, then here are your steps: Configuration – Default, Account Name – username.
- The steps for the same window: Authentication Settings… -> Username and Password of your VPN account -> OK
In addition, you have to take the following steps: Advanced -> Send all traffic over VPN connection -> OK
- Click “Apply” and
- Then: Apple logo -> System Preferences… -> Sharing -> Internet Sharing -> Wi-Fi
- Now enter the appropriate values:
Network Name: [network name]
Security: WPA2 Personal
Verify: [re-enter password]
- Click “OK”
In some cases, it is impossible to share Wi-Fi. It depends on a computer model, hardware, and OS version. In this case, the only way to use a VPN with Roku – router setup.
Every good VPN service has a page on its official website which is dedicated to setup on various router models. I won’t make this article complex and just provide you links to the tutorials. Here are step-by-step guides how to set up top 3 VPNs:
Now you may connect to this Wi-Fi “roku” from Roku or any other device.
You may connect to Wi-Fi “roku” from your smartphone and check your IP on myip.com in order to make sure that your VPN works. If you see an IP of the country you have chosen, everything is right and your VPN works.
When reconnecting the Internet on your desktop you have to activate your Wi-Fi distribution. For this, you have to follow the 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 points.
It is also convenient to create command .bat on the desktop file with a command from the point 6 (for example, roku.bat) and launch it as an administrator through the right button.
Do not forget to change a country in the Roku settings before connecting to Wi-Fi with a VPN.
Presented in this review VPNs are, undoubtedly, not the only ones suitable for Roku. If for some reasons, they are not appropriate for you, try any other VPN. However, you have to pay attention to the following necessary features.
1. You need decent speeds.
2. A provider must be able to unblock Netflix (read our reviews to know what VPNs work with it).
3. If you use a virtual router, then your VPN app should create a virtual adapter that you will be able to use for sharing Wi-Fi. For example, CyberGhost is not appropriate for this purpose.
The list of some VPNs suitable for a virtual router:
- Private Internet Access (paid provider)
- ProtonVPN (one-week free usage)
- TunnelBear (1Mb free per month)
- Avast Secure Line (very slow, 7-day free usage)
- ProXPN (low speed)
4. A VPN should support routers.
In conclusion, I want to share some peculiarities that will be useful for those who use Roku through a VPN.
Your VPN connection works in all channels
You cannot just set up geo-restriction for a certain channel. If you use a VPN, it is equivalent to your virtual location in the chosen country. The traffic goes through a virtual channel which is connected to a VPN server and you cannot divide it for various countries.
Surfshark is able to disconnect the VPN for certain URLs. I haven’t tested this feature. I guess it will not work because a streaming video is not passed through TCP/IP. However, this function controls exactly this feature.
You need the best Wi-Fi router for a VPN
Why do I advise you to use a desktop for Wi-Fi sharing with a VPN? Because Virtual Private Network requires appropriate process power (more information on VPNs for routers).
Such kinds of Wi-Fi routers are expensive. Their price is comparable with the price of a desktop computer. However, the majority of people use cheap routers which do not carry out complex processing under ordinary conditions.
That’s why, when setting up a VPN on a router, you have to pay attention to the fact that it just can fail to encrypt/decrypt traffic and pack/unpack it in a VPN channel. Therefore, your maximum speed is it significantly reduced.
In any case, it will be rather difficult to use Roku with other devices through a VPN.
- Change your router to a powerful one
- Use a more powerful router together with yours
- Share internet connection from a desktop
In any case, for testing a VPN with Roku you have to start with the easiest solution – share internet connection from a desktop.
Connection to a turned on desktop and constant Wi-Fi distribution
As I have already mentioned, every time you disconnect a desktop from the Internet (shutdown, reloading, replacement), you have to newly activate your Wi-Fi distribution.
There is no complete solution. In this case, it’s better to use a router that is able to keep a VPN connection active for several months. However, taking into consideration the peculiarities described in the previous section, there is no perfect solution. Anyway, you need a powerful router. Otherwise, you will have certain inconvenience with your laptop.
Unfortunately, you can set up a VPN neither on Roku nor on Roku TV. As for other solutions, they have significant disadvantages.