Best VPNs for Bangladesh
There are few things worse than using noble goals to advance censorship, surveillance, and other reprehensible ideas. Unfortunately, this is what happens in Bangladesh even today. As the Internet is a tool for many people to express their beliefs and feelings, the government there takes measures to make it harder. In this review, we will tell you how the people of Bangladesh can benefit from VPN technology to fight that.
You have likely heard about this technology that can change your IP and hide it from the authorities or encrypt all of your Internet traffic. It does sound wonderful, doesn’t it?
It surely does, but there are caveats.Alas, as with many other popular technologies, there are people and companies who want to get a piece of the pie without contributing much to it. This results in the prevalence of poorly-made VPN services that can be found in abundance on the Google Play Market and the Apple App Store.
One, especially one living in a country with the affinity for censoring and blocking web content such as Bangladesh, has to be extremely careful with these so-called VPNs. In the best case scenario, such services can endanger your privacy by leaking your data due to their faulty code. In the worst case, they’ll do the same but purposely and get money for it.
To help the citizens and visitors of Bangladesh out, we at CoolTechZone decided to conduct a 6-month test in 2023 to see what services are really good for the country.
This review is the product of the test. In it, we’ll give you two lists of good VPNs: one composed of paid services and another one of free providers.
5 best VPNs for Bangladesh
- ExpressVPN: 3000+ servers in 105 countries, 5 tunneling protocols, 3 devices per one login.
- Surfshark: 3200+ servers worldwide, unlimited number of connections, Kill Switch, P2P-friendly.
- NordVPN: 30-day money-back guarantee, fast speeds, user-friendly apps.
- CyberGhost VPN: OpenVPN compatibility, IP/DNS leak protection and servers in 100 countries.
- PIA: Unlimited simultaneous connections, P2P support, useful support.
5 free VPNs for Bangladesh
- ProtonVPN: Unlimited traffic, 69 locations, good security, lackluster speeds.
- Windscribe: 10 Gb of traffic per month, poor speeds, 63 locations
- Hide.me: 2 Gb per month, relatively good speeds.
- HotspotShield: 80 location, 500 Mb per day, limited functionality.
- TunnelBear: 26 locations, 500 Mb of traffic per month, allows torrenting.
Brief overview of the Internet in Bangladesh
According to the Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission, the number of Internet subscribers in the country reached 102 million people this May. This is almost 8 million netizens more than just a year prior! And the further back in time we go in terms of this statistics, the more apparent the growth is. Let’s take a look at a diagram that partially illustrates the point:
To properly show previous years such as 2009 here would be impossible: the number of Internet users then amounted to just 600 thousand.
This rapid growth, unfortunately, did have some problems. Reports of sites being blocked were as numerous as they were troubling: among them were not only gambling, pornographic, or defamatory resources, but also YouTube and Facebook.
Moreover, the government meddled with the citizens’ and ISPs’ upload speed to prevent the population from using VoIP in 2013. As you may imagine, when the speed is culled by an ISP, it doesn’t really differentiate between various activities and even if you don’t use Skype or other such services, you will feel the drop.
One of the biggest problems today is the government-sanctioned lack of Internet access in the Rohingya refugee camps in Bangladesh that puts people’s lives in danger.
Overall, the situation leaves much to be desired. Hopefully, it will change to the better soon as more citizens take a stand against censorship and human rights violations.
But while it is still grim, let’s talk about the VPNs that can help the Bangladeshis get access to the banned parts of the Web.
5 best VPNs for Bangladesh
Our tests show that ExpressVPN is currently the best VPN to use in Bangladesh. As you will soon see, it has a plethora of features to keep one safe in a restricted environment.
However, it doesn’t mean that the other services on the list are bad. Each one of them has its own unique advantages.Without further ado, let’s get going!
Best VPNs for Bangladesh: Main characteristics comparison
|Jurisdiction||British Virgin Islands||Panama||The Netherlands||Romania||United States|
|No-logs policy||Independently audited||Independently audited||Independently audited||Independently audited||Court-proven|
|Speed||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps|
|Servers||3000+ servers in 105 countries||5900+ servers in 60 countries||3200+ servers in 100 countries||10200+ servers in 100 countries||30000+ servers in 84 countries|
|Review||ExpressVPN review||NordVPN review||Surfshark review||CyberGhost review||PIA review|
ExpressVPN takes the first spot on the list very deservedly. Here’s why:
- Diskless servers. The ExpressVPN servers you connect to physically can’t store your browsing information, making it impossible to track your online behavior.
- A ton of servers in 105 countries. The closer you are to a VPN server, the better is your speed.
- It’s a service that can’t cooperate with the authorities. There have been cases when ExpressVPN was ordered by a judge to present its customers’ data to the court but couldn’t do so because it didn’t store any. The best part: it was even before the implementation of diskless servers!
ExpressVPN plans and prices
|1 month||6 months||1 year|
- Overall, the best performance
- A bit pricier than competitors
Surfshark is placed second because it is a great budget service. Its price compares very favorably to those of the rest of services on this list - and, which is the best thing, at no cost to its quality. Some of its features include:
- Unlimited number of devices. Unlike almost all other VPNs, Surfshark allows you to connect as many devices per subscription as you like, making it even more price-efficient.
- Convenient streaming. If you want to watch the US versions of Netflix or Hulu while in Bangladesh, Surfshark’s got you covered.
- Good security. While not quite as good as ExpressVPN, Surfshark is still very effective in keeping one safe online.
Surfshark plans and prices
|1 month||6 months||2 years|
- The cheapest good VPN
- More than 3200 servers worldwide
- Can be used by an entire family with just one subscription
NordVPN is a security and privacy-oriented service. It may not have a presence in as many countries as ExpressVPN or not be as cheap as Surfshark but it has its fair share of advantages.They include:
- 5900+ servers. A network this large makes sure that you’ll always find a server close to you.
- VPN protocol obfuscation. This feature allows you to hide the fact you are using a VPN in the first place if it ever becomes prohibited to do.
- Double VPN. Great for the situations when absolute security is more important than speed.
|1 month||1 year||2 years|
- Rare security features
- Relatively cheap on the longest plan
- Has diskless servers just like ExpressVPN
4. CyberGhost VPN
CyberGhost is another strong provider. To be sure, it doesn’t have any diskless servers like NordVPN and ExpressVPN yet but it protects its users very well nevertheless.Among its features are:
- IP and DNS leak prevention. Like all the services on this list, CyberGhost manages to protect its customers from data leaks that can be dangerous if third parties get their hands on them.
- More than 10200 servers in 100+ countries. It is the largest server network compared to its competition.
- 45-day refund guarantee. Most other services let you try their products out only for one month or even less.
CyberGhost plans and prices
|1 month||1 year||2 years||3 years|
- Easy to find a suitable server
- Cheap compared to the other VPNs
- Great data protection
Private Internet Access may not look as fancy as some of the other services on our list at first glance, but you’ll be amazed at how powerful it really is.Its biggest selling points are:
- Its apps are more customizable than those of its rivals. You can select practically anything in the settings, up to disabling encryption entirely.
- 30000+ servers in 84 countries. These figures show that this is a service to be reckoned with.
PIA plans and prices
|1 month||1 year||3 years|
- Super customizable
- Not expensive on the 1-year plan
- Decent security
5 acceptable free VPNs for Bangladesh
The first thing we need to discuss before delving into free VPNs is the ways they are inferior to the paid ones.It is the sad truth that no free product can be really good and vice versa. However, it doesn’t necessarily mean that there are no serviceable free VPNs. In fact, we have found five such services and will talk about them right now.
However, they all do have certain limitations compared to the paid ones. It can be speed, number of locations, amount of traffic, etc.
Always carefully read the policies of a service you want to use. Otherwise, you can end up giving away your credit card data and being forced into buying a subscription you don’t want just because you registered for a free plan.
ProtonVPN does a lot of heavy lifting for the oppressed people all over the world due to its convenient free plan. It has no traffic limit and can be used for as long as you wish. However, it puts certain restrictions on speed.
Windscribe offers more locations to connect to than ProtonVPN (11 against 3) and 10 Gb of monthly traffic. Its speeds on any of the locations are atrocious, though, so it will be hard to put those gigabytes to good use.
hide.me’s traffic limit is smaller than that of Windscribe, being 2 Gb a month. This fact is somewhat rectified by its higher speeds. Whether they can be of any use with a small traffic limit is up to anyone to decide.
This is a 1-location only free plan but it’s not too bad considering that you can have consistently good speeds on that location. Also be careful, as this service tends to subscribe you to the 1-month plan automatically after 7 days of using the free one.
TunnelBear has the tiniest traffic limit of all, reaching just 500 Mb per month (which can be increased to 1500 Mb under certain circumstances, though). It’s obviously too little but there’s nothing preventing you from getting several free VPNs at once and using them to the fullest.