Top VPN Services to Use in Poland: Review Based on Test Results
In 2012, a blogger was convicted of defamation after he published a post satirizing the then president of the country. The same year, Poland enacted several laws that restricted access to public information, which significantly affects online journalists and bloggers. It makes the use of VPN apps necessary.
It became a compelling reason for VPN use in Poland. In the meantime, it’s not always easy to find the service that would meet all your requirements. Besides, a non-tech-savvy person simply doesn’t know what criteria are significant.
That’s why I’m here to help you.In this article, I’ll answer the most common questions and give guidance on how to choose a VPN. Also, I’ll explain what a VPN can do in 2023.
If your aim is to make your browsing history hidden from third parties, you’ll need a VPN with the best security functions like kill switch, double VPN, diverse protocols, etc. Unfortunately, free VPN usually lack such features and cannot guarantee privacy on the Internet.
All you need to know about the Internet in Poland
The constitution of Poland explicitly prohibits censorship and guarantees freedom of expression. As a result, Polish web users largely enjoy an experience close to complete digital freedom. Poland gets stellar ratings from human rights and net freedom watchdogs, at least until recently.
Things took a turn for the worse early in 2016 when Poland passed the ‘Bill Changing the Bill about Police and Several Other Laws’. Amusing title aside, this bill gives the Polish police and security services the authority to access web browsing and other telecommunication data generated by citizens without judicial review or approval.
A draft bill even adds online data to the existing clauses. This widely condemned legislation, which is largely a knee-jerk reaction to ISIS propaganda circulating online, is set to significantly reshape how the Polish access the internet. The online content that was freely accessible before may not be so once the bill comes into effect.
The reasons to use a VPN for Poland
The reasons to use a VPN are diverse, but here we are going to enlist the most significant of them for the Polish residents namely. Let’s start.
Polish financial organizations appeared on the list of targets of criminals. Thus, Poland was one of 31 countries targeted by adversaries. However, not only state establishment suffers from cyberattacks but individuals as well. In such a way, over 60% of the residents of Poland are concerned about criminals on the Internet.VPN services solve this problem efficiently. Due to military-grade encryption, cybercriminals fail to make use of stolen data.
According to the law accepted in Poland on January 26, 2018, the discussion of some historical events (e.g. Nazi crimes) is forbidden. The fines for disobedience are presupposed.
Although there are no considerable restrictions on the Internet, access to some websites and services may be limited to the authorities’ request. The same situation is about monitoring.Virtual Private Network providers guarantee safe and secure web browsing due to traffic encryption. Besides, through constant IP changing, the online fingerprint of a user becomes unique, and it is almost impossible to identify a VPN subscriber.
Comparison of the main features of VPN services for Poland
|Service||Ranking (out of 10)||Speed, Mbps||Country selection||Number of servers||Price (monthly)|
|ExpressVPN||9||>100||105||3000+||$8.32 - 12.95|
|NordVPN||10||>60||60||5900+||$2.99 - 12.99|
|Surfshark||10||>50||100||3200+||$2.21 - 12.95|
|CyberGhost||9||40-70||100||10200+||$2.03 - 12.99|
|PIA||10||>50||84||30000+||$2.03 - 11.95|
The most efficient VPN for Poland: selection criteria
- ExpressVPN: Amazing provider that will hide your IP, making you invisible to Polish ISPs and government.
- NordVPN: Super-fast VPN with military-grade encryption and automatic Kill Switch to protect your information while using public Wi-Fi in Poland.
- Surfshark: One of the best providers for Poland, robust encryption, and protocols will hide your sensitive information from spying eyes.
- CyberGhost VPN: Perfect VPN offering DNS and IP leak protection and strict no-logging policy.
- Private Internet Access: Great provider to use in Poland as it offers unlimited server switching and 256-bit encryption.
When choosing a VPN service that would solve all necessary tasks in Poland, I took into consideration their speed test results, studied logging policies and server networks, and checked security functions.
ExpressVPN showed the best results by every measure. Also, you’ll find 4 more VPN apps that I can recommend for Poland.
ExpressVPN is a VPN provider with zero-knowledge DNS and diskless servers. It guarantees that the company doesn’t keep logs which is vital for people in Poland.Its servers are placed in 94 countries including Poland. It allows access to sites and services available with Polish IP when you are abroad!ExpressVPN app is one of the fastest ones I’ve tried. The speed drops by 10% only. It’s a great result if you aim at streaming.
The table lists the ExpressVPN plans and prices
|1 month||6 months||1 year|
- ExpressVPN software can be set up on any platform, which makes it possible to protect any device you have.
- The use of this VPN is user-friendly and its features are diverse.
- It's allowed to try the services without paying for it thanks to a 7-day trial for Android.
Read more: ExpressVPN review
NordVPN is on the list as a consequence of its advanced security features. Thus, NordVPN offers automatic kill switch, personal IP addresses, double protection, and Onion over VPN.Besides, the service will make your web surfing even more attractive because it can block ads and malware!The speed of NordVPN is high enough to stream Netflix content in HD quality. There are 1703 US servers so that’s won’t be a struggle.
The table lists the NordVPN plans and prices
|1 month||1 year||2 years|
|Price (monthly)||$12.99||$4.49||$2.99 (2022 Winter promotion)|
- The map integrated into the app help to choose the best possible location to prevent a decrease in speed.
- The app offers optimal servers based on your requirements.
Read more: NordVPN review
Surfshark is one of the best VPNs for Poland in the market. Among its outstanding features, I’ve found Whitelister (split tunneling) and CleanWeb (trackers, ads, and malware blocker).Besides, it offers something more common VPN providers suggest. Surfshark informs its users when their emails and passwords are about to be hacked thanks to the HackLock function.
The table lists the Surfshark plans and prices
|1 month||6 months||2 years|
- It efficiently unblocks BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Netflix, and other services.
- It works on any platform (even routers and smart TVs) without a significant speed drop.
Read more: Surfshark review
4. CyberGhost VPN
CyberGhost is a VPN with specially optimized servers for streaming and torrenting. Besides, it offers NoSpy servers that make your web surfing 100% anonymous.On some servers, I’ve experienced a significant speed drop. Thus, it’s recommended to switch between the servers until you find the fastest one.
The table lists the CyberGhost VPN plans and prices
|1 month||1 year||2 years||3 years|
- CyberGhost has 10200 servers worldwide. It’s enough to unblock any site or service.
- 48 servers in Poland for your comfort when you are abroad.
Read more: CyberGhost VPN review
5. Private Internet Access
Private Internet Access is another VPN provider I recommend to use in Poland. It has an automatic kill switch (you can enable or disable it) and PIA MACE that blocks the domain names used for trackers, ads, and malicious software.Also, you can redirect your secure VPN connections through an additional location – SOCKS5 Proxy or Shadowsocks.
The table lists the PIA plans and prices
|1 month||1 year||2 years|
- Data leaks are not possible when using PIA
- Speed is fast enough for downloading torrents
Read more: PIA review
Top 5 VPNs for Poland to use free of charge
Although I usually don’t recommend using free VPN providers, some of them that can be used in Poland.
- ProtonVPN: Premium provider with the support of all popular platforms and a free plan with some restrictions.
- Windscribe: A user-friendly app for all devices. It offers a large network of fast servers around the world. But its free package has restrictions.
- hide.me: A reliable VPN service for Poland with 4 tariff plans (one of them is free) and good security features.
- Hotspot Shield: One of the fastest VPN providers in [current_year] allows using its app free of charge thanks to its ‘Basic’ plan.
- TunnelBear: It allows us to use the service either on a paid basis ($3.33/mo) or absolutely free (with some restriction).
- Available as a free plan
- Restrictions: servers in 69 countries, 1 connection
Free ProtonVPN plan allows using it without a time limit. However, you are to be ready for a significant speed drop. If you want to prevent it, it’s better to subscribe to its ‘Plus’ plan.
- Available as a free plan
- Restrictions: 10GB traffic, servers in 63 countries
I don’t recommend to use it on iOS because of inefficient security on this platform. But it’s quite ok for Android or Windows. Besides, P2P is allowed.
Free Hide.me VPN
- Available as a free plan
- Restrictions: 10GB traffic, 46 locations, 1 connections
The credit card is not required to make use of the Hide.me free plan. But be ready for the lack of some functions available for paid plan users (dynamic port forwarding, streaming, and fixed IP).
Free HotspotShield VPN
- Free VPN
- Restrictions: 80 location, 500MB daily traffic
The security of HotspotShield is great. However, its free plan limits the speed to 2 Mbps, which makes streaming and torrenting hardly possible. At the same time, it’s enough to access blacklisted news portals.
- Available as a free plan
- Restrictions: 500MB traffic
While testing TunnelBear VPN in Poland, I’ve noticed unstable speed. But I’ve decided to mention it on this list because there were no troubles with security.
What are the benefits of using a VPN in Poland?
Having subscribed for a VPN service, one benefits from:
What are the consequences of a new bill in Poland?
Under the new bill, any Polish citizen can come under surveillance. The authorities do not need evidence to officially suspect an internet user before starting to spy on them online. Needless to say, Polish citizens who value their privacy may now want to take measures to keep the authorities out of their personal computers. The best, and perhaps the only, step towards online security is to use a VPN service when browsing the web from Poland.
Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) ensure that users can access the internet without censorship filters, regulatory spying, getting hacked, or having personal data stolen. There several VPNs Polish users can purchase, but only the best ensures the features mentioned.
Can a VPN unblock Polish services or sites when I’m abroad?
Definitely! You are to subscribe to one of the VPNs from the list, connect to a server located in Poland, and the service (TVP1, Polsat, or any other) will be unblocked.