What is a VPN: Best Free Providers in 2018
Hello, guys! Today I want to provide a more in-depth and detailed analysis of VPN technology. Stay with me if you like the topic.
You will learn the following information from my article:
- What is a VPN?
- Types of VPNs: what is a PPTP VPN?
- What is a VPN Kill Switch?
- Why use a VPN: the main advantages
- Best free VPNs in 2018
- What is a secure VPN?
OK, let's answer a bunch of these questions. Keep reading.
You may have already faceda VPN abbreviation on the Net. Actually, I think you've heard about it lots of times. But do you know exactly what is it and how does it work?
In a nutshell, VPN is a technology that provides withanonymity and security on the Internet.
But what is a VPN connection? Let's continue.
I won't describe the process in details. I will just give the basic information for you to catch the idea.
Let's say that you've already installed a provider on your device and connected the Net through it. Well, now your connectivity will be more secure, safe and even anonymous.
As soon as you connect to the Internet via a VPN, it creates a "secret tunnel" and all your personal information goes through it, making your IP invisible on the Net. It's cool, isn't it?
What does a VPN hide?
A VPN masks your IP. Itencrypts your data as well. It means nor your ISP or the government can see what you are doing on the Internet or when you were online.
There're lots of types of VPNs. A PPTP VPN is one of the most popular. PPTP is based on point to point tunneling protocol.It's widely used among private users and in organizations. It is not surprising, this type of a VPN is compatible with Windows, MacOS and Linux devices. The main disadvantage of PPTP VPNs is that they are don't use encoding.
That's why I highly recommend you to pay attention to other types of VPNs. It's better to choose the best type of a VPN before using this or that for a secure internet connection.
Every VPN service provides the information about the protocols it uses. You can check it on the official website of a VPN.
Another equally important aspect while choosing a VPN is a Kill Switch function. This feature is crucial as there is always a risk that your VPN connection will breakdown. This situation may lead to your sensitive data leakage, but a Kill Switch can successfully prevent this. It will stop your connectivity and ensure you that there are no possible Internet connections.
There're lots of pros, I should say. Let's focus on the most evident ones. OK, what is a VPN typically used for? Let's star.
1. Security is crucial today. Even if you live in a free country where there is no strict Internet censorship, you may want to protect your sensitive data. It is extremely important today because the cases of data leakage are becoming more and more frequent today.
- How does a VPN ensure anonymity?
It encrypts your data. Yes, a VPN not only masks an IP, it encrypts your data as well. That's why you need to know what protocol a VPN uses. The more robust a protocol of a VPN provider is, the more your data is protected.
2. The main reason why people use a VPN is, of course, to bypass geo-blocking. The authorities of some countriesadhere to advanced internet censorship system. For example, netizens in Chinahave to use a VPN to access restricted websites in their country. If you're going to travel to a certain country, first check if it is free or not. Not only social networks but also VOIP messengers are blockedin some countries.
- How does a VPN unblock restricted websites?
Simple, it just hides your IP. Any VPN provider offers servers which are distributed all around the world. If you want to unblock, say Netflix, you need to choose a server which is located in the USA.
3. There is hardly a person in the 21 century who doesn't like online shopping. It's vital to stay anonymous while booking a hotel or just buying something on the Internet. Many netizens use a VPN to find the cheapest plane tickets either.
- How a VPN can help me to save money?
Online shops track our activity and every time we return to this or that website, the price on a certain thing may go up. What you need to do in this situation is to change your IP. The website will "think" that you are another person.
The list may go on and on. Let's go further if I've managed to catch your attention.
Now I want to offer you the best free VPNs in brief. I've tested them for you and you may feel free to use them for bypassing geo-blocking or just make your internet connection secure. All of them are free but trustworthy. They're:
|Free use||Totally free||Free with limited bandwidth||Totally free||Totally free|
|Stored data||No||No||No||No info|
|Servers||> 10 countries||20 countries||6 servers in 2 countries (Russia and France)||No info|
And finally, let me enumerate the main features a robust VPN must have. Pay attention to the following features while choosing a free VPN:
- no logs;
- 256-bit encryption;
- OpenVPN protocol;
- amount of servers.
As you can see, every person can find his own reason for using a VPN. One person needs to unblock certain websites, other has to encrypt its Sensitivedata. Anyway,a VPN is extremely useful today.
I've tried to find the best free VPNs in 2018. They are all cross-platform software and use robust encryption. They will serve you well.
Stay secure and good luck!