How to change location on your Mac (2023)
Mac laptops are well-known for their sleek design, lightweight, and overall comfort. In short, they're the perfect gadget to include in your luggage to continue work or binge-watch a favorite Netflix show abroad.
However, you may be disappointed that some films and other media are unavailable in foreign lands. You can also run into issues trying to work outside your typical workspace. And so, you might wonder if there's a way to change your location on Mac back to your home country.
This is where a VPN (Virtual Private Network) enters the scene. It's a simple app that redirects your online traffic through remote servers, changes your IP address, and masks your browsing habits.
With our step-by-step guide, you'll learn how to change location on Mac using a VPN, ensuring privacy and unlocking new possibilities. Say goodbye to unreliable GPS apps and embrace the power of VPNs to modify your virtual location.
How to change location on Mac with a VPN
- Select an excellent VPN that’s compatible with Mac devices. Our top choice is NordVPN.
- Download the VPN application on your device and log in.
- Connect to a server in your chosen location.
- Browse the internet with a new IP address.
Why would you need to change location on Mac
First, let's explore the main benefits of using a well-performing VPN so you'd know what to expect after changing your location on Mac.
- More content on video streaming services. Streaming platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Disney Plus offer different content catalogs in each country.
- Accessing geo-restricted streaming services. Want to watch BBC iPlayer from outside the UK or access Max from outside the US? Changing your Mac's location through a VPN enables you to unlock a world of streaming services that would otherwise be unavailable.
- Changing your virtual location for apps. Many apps, including location-based games like Pokémon Go, dating apps, and social media platforms like Tinder, Snapchat, and My Friends, grant you different features based on your device's location.
- Enhanced remote work capabilities. A VPN allows you to stay connected to your work systems securely without the risk of threat actors gaining unauthorized access.
- Unlocking better deals. You can access region-specific deals, such as cheaper flights and hotels by changing your MAC's IP address with VPN.
- Maintaining location privacy. If you're concerned about apps like Google, Facebook, and Instagram tracking your actual location, a VPN on your Mac can help hide your exact whereabouts.
Best VPNs to change Mac location
- NordVPN – provides unmatchable privacy and data security while ensuring lightning-fast speed.
- Surfshark VPN – reliable digital protection and unlimited simultaneous connection
- Atlas VPN – user-friendly interface and seamless experience.
3 Easy ways to change location on Mac
There are 3 ways to change your location on Mac. As you can imagine, the first is our top recommendation because it involves a VPN, a security-centered tool with loads of extra perks. On the other hand, the remaining two methods involve utilizing different tools and offering other pros and cons. Read on to learn more.
1. Change IP address with a VPN
The IP address of your Mac is like a house number and street name in the physical world. It facilitates interaction between computers and allows for position tracking. Streaming services use IP addresses to control customer access to various media databases. Meanwhile, VPNs like NordVPN are the perfect solution for Mac users who want to hide their online presence by switching locations.
Let's again take the example of NordVPN to make you understand how to change your IP address and location on Mac. Follow these simple steps,
- Sign up to NordVPN, one of the best VPNs on the market.
- Download and install the NordVPN application on your Mac.
- Launch the NordVPN app and sign in with your NordVPN account.
- Choose a server location from the options you want your IP address to reflect.
- Click on the "Connect" button to enable a connection to the selected server.
- Once connected, verify that your IP address has changed by visiting a website like "whatismyip.com" or "iplocation.net" and checking the displayed IP address.
Virtual private networks provide the best connection results because their servers are massive and well maintained. Furthermore, absolute privacy against all types of surveillance is guaranteed thanks to top-of-the-line encryption. Plus, you gain a whole trove of bonus security tools like ad blockers to choose from.
2. Use a proxy server
You'll need to find a proxy with servers where you wish to appear. Proxy services can be either free or paid. Here's how to enable one on Mac.
- Configure Mac proxy setup: Mac "System Preferences" > "Network" Click "Advanced" and choose your network connection (Wi-Fi or Ethernet).
- Go to the "Proxies" tab: Advanced options, "Proxies" tab. Configure network proxy settings here.
- Select Proxy server type: Choose a proxy server type based on proxy service parameters. HTTP, HTTPS, SOCKS, and combinations are common.
- Proxy server information: Enter the proxy service's port number, IP address, or hostname. Enter additional login credentials as needed.
- Save settings: After entering the proxy server data, click "OK" to preserve the settings. Apply network modifications.
- Verify the new IP: Check your IP address using a website or IP address lookup tool. It should show the proxy server's IP.
A proxy server can change your Mac's IP address and location. However, proxies lack encryption, bonus security, and may result in slower connectivity than the average VPN.
3. Change DNS Settings
DNS settings may indirectly alter your apparent location by affecting how websites and services locate you. Follow the below steps to change your Mac DNS settings.
- Mac "System Preferences" > "Network."
- Click "Advanced" and choose your network connection (Wi-Fi or Ethernet).
- Advanced settings, "DNS" tab.
- Replace the DNS server addresses with ones that match the location you wish to appear from. Use Google DNS (126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52) or OpenDNS (184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11).
- Click "OK" to save and apply network adjustments.
By using DNS servers in various locations, websites and services may correlate your location with the DNS server. However, changing the DNS settings will not mask your IP address or provide the same privacy and protection as utilizing a VPN to disguise your location on Mac.
Changing Mac location with a VPN - extensive guide
Follow this step-by-step guide to successfully change your Mac's location:
- Sign up for a VPN service. Purchase a suitable VPN for Mac, such as . Select a preferable subscription plan. After joining, download the NordVPN application for Mac from the provider's official website or the Apple App Store. Install the Mac software after downloading.
- Launch the VPN app. Sign into the VPN on your Mac using your account credentials.
- Select a server. Opening the app displays server options. Select a suitable server for your current needs.
- Connect to the server. After choosing a server, click "Connect" in the app to connect to and change your location on Mac.
- Check your location. After connecting to the VPN, your Mac's IP address will be hidden and your location will be the server's. Use a third-party website to see if your IP address and DNS requests are changed properly.
Why is my VPN not connecting on my Mac
Several things may cause issues while trying to change your location on Mac. The most common roadblocks are network connection issues, IP or DNS leaks, VPN server maintenance, or technical difficulties on your end. Plus, you're more likely to encounter problems with low-quality services. Meanwhile, our recommended VPN services are well-known for delivering excellent results.
You can enjoy foolproof location-changing if you install the VPN directly on your home router. Then every device on your network will have its location changed 24/7. That means you won't have to enable a VPN connection whenever you want to hide your whereabouts.
Note that changing a router's location requires some technical knowledge. Furthermore, not all routers enable VPN setups. Contact your VPN provider's customer support specialists for more information and guidance.
Can I change location on Mac with a free VPN
We strongly discourage using free VPNs for changing location on your Mac. For starters, most free VPNs have barren applications, limited functionality, meager server options, and slower speeds than you'd expect. They may also sell your data to other parties for profit. Naturally, the same applies to free proxies and other costless software.
We understand that not everyone can afford a top-notch premium VPN like NordVPN. Alternatively, some may only need a VPN's benefits temporarily. In that case, snagging a free trial VPN is the most appropriate course of action.
You'll be happy to hear that top VPNs like NordVPN and Surfshark offer costless testing options. Firstly, you can start with the 7-day free trials on mobile app stores. After that, the 30-day money-back guarantee is another viable option. We recommend starting with NordVPN, the #1 VPN for Mac.
Geo-restricted material, digital privacy, and new opportunities require changing your Mac's location. A VPN like NordVPN is better than GPS spoofing tools for changing your IP address and virtual location. NordVPN's Mac client, server locations, and security features make web surfing safe and easy.
Unsurprisingly, other methods exist to change your location on Mac, such as proxy services and DNS setting alteration. However, these options pale in comparison with VPNs and deliver subpar results in practically every category. Therefore, you should only consider virtual private network services if you care about your cybersecurity.
How do I change my location on my Mac?
Using a VPN service is the most reliable way of changing your location on Mac. is the top choice in this regard. It offers feature-rich apps, excellent connection performance, solid digital security, and unrivaled privacy practices.
Does Mac have built-in VPN?
No, Mac doesn't have a built-in VPN but allows you to connect to a VPN if you use a third-party client. You can access the VPN settings by going to "System Preferences" on your Mac, selecting "Network," and clicking the "+" button to add a VPN configuration.
Why is my MacBook location wrong?
Apple may use your IP address to determine your location, sometimes resulting in inaccurate location information. The alerts you receive may show locations hundreds of miles from your location. However, if you know that it is you attempting to sign in, it is not a problem.
How do I make my VPN show a different location?
VPNs have numerous servers across various locations. You can change your location simply by connecting to one of those servers and using third-party websites to verify that everything works properly. Then online services will think that you're connecting from the server's location and not your actual residence.