VPN Services to Unblock Netflix and Watch Local TV Abroad (Mexico)
Planning to relocate from Mexico for some time, one would like to have access to local TV channels. However, Azteca7, Canal 5, Televisia as well as other ones might be unavailable abroad.
Virtual Private Networks are meant to solve such problems efficiently. VPN apps serve to substitute your IP with the IP of another country and therefore unblock the content of this place.
Ready to subscribe to a VPN?
Read this article thoroughly to make the right choice.
Here’s what you’ll learn today:
- Censorship in Mexico
- Top VPN providers for this country
- Free worthy VPNs in Mexico
- The way to access US Netflix from Mexico
- Why is VPN in Mexico worth using?
- How to connect to a VPN in Mexico?
- Can I watch Telmex outside Mexico?
- Is using a VPN in Mexico legal?
- ExpressVPN: You’ll feel safe with this provider as it uses only trustworthy protocols and encryption.
- NordVPN: Reliable provider for Mexico as it offers a great choice of servers and numerous payment methods!
- Surfshark: Great VPN to protect your data and get past geo-restricted content in Mexico.
- CyberGhost VPN: Amazing VPN for Mexico which will help you to unblock your favorite sites and servers on the Internet.
- Private Internet Access: Super-fast VPN that will protect your data while using public Wi-Fi in Mexico.
- ProtonVPN: Reliable protection for $0 is not a myth with ProtonVPN provider thanks to its free plan.
- Windscribe: One more VPN tool you can rely on. But remember about the restrictions for the free version.
- Hide.me: AES 256-bit encryption, reliable tunneling protocols, and fast servers serve to go round restrictions in Mexico.
- HotspotShield: A free plan by this service restricts its subscribers in servers and monthly traffic. But it’s still worthy.
- TunnelBear: Attractive app with too small traffic for its free plan. But all countries are available.
Recommendation: When choosing a VPN for Mexico, you’d better pay attention to such features as automatic kill switch to prevent IP leak, server locations to go around geo-restrictions, speed to steer clear of buffering. Remember that not all free VPNs have these characteristics.
Mexico has a troubled history with regards to protecting citizens’ right to free speech and expression, and in modern times, these troubles have spilled over to the internet as well.
Censorship watchdog Freedom House has ranked Mexico as only “partly free” when it comes to freedom on the internet.
Mexico is one of the worst countries in the world for online journalists and bloggers, who, in recent times, have come under hostile attacks by both government officials and crime syndicates (especially drug cartels).
You’ll be surprised!
Mexicans, in recent years, have vehemently protested against censorship laws, which can grant ISPs the authority to block online content, regardless of whether the published material is legal or illegal.
It is no wonder that many Mexican internet users want to bypass government filters to access content that is legitimate in countries with online freedom.
The best way to ensure digital freedom from regulators is to use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to access the web. There are several VPN services available for Mexican users, so it can be difficult to choose one over another.
Comparison of VPN services for Mexico
|Service||Ranking (out of 10)||Speed, Mbps||Country selection||Number of servers||Price (monthly)|
In the course of testing, I’ve paid attention to the privacy level, server diversity, security feature, speed, and pricing system of dozens of VPN providers.
The ones mentioned in this rating comply with the standards of modern online security tools. They offer fast servers that make streaming and torrenting convenient from any part of the world.
- 3000+ servers
- 30-day refund
- 160 locations
- 7-day free trial (Android)
ExpressVPN is a popular VPN service known for its flash-like servers located around the globe. Its servers are suitable for P2P file-sharing and streaming services in Mexico.
As for data encryption, it has no equals. Military-grade AES-256 encryption mechanism makes all users’ traffic protected from hackers and snoopers.
ExpressVPN plans and prices
|1 month||6 months||1 year|
- It cannot be called cheap
- Several servers in Mexico to access local content from abroad
- No-logs policy
- 5400+ servers
- 30-day refund
- 59 countries
- 7-day free trial (Android, iOS)
The next in the rating is NordVPN because it offers numerous servers around the world and doesn’t keep logs.
NordVPN uses OpenVPN protocol (TCP) in combination with AES 256-bit ciphering. You won’t face buffering while streaming video services like Netflix or Hulu.
NordVPN plans and prices
|1 month||1 year||2 years|
(2022 Winter promotion)
- Unlimited access to P2P file-sharing
- Panama jurisdiction
- 6 simultaneous connections
- 1700+ servers
- 63 countries
- 30-day refund
- 7-day free trial
Surfshark is a relatively new VPN in the market but very affordable ($2.49 per month). It offers an unlimited number of simultaneous connections within one account. You won’t find any other VPN with such option.
Currently, it has more than 1700 servers in 63 countries and offers reliable ciphering. High-speed servers and special servers for torrenting make Surfshark popular among Mexicans.
Surfshark plans and prices
|1 month||6 months||2 years|
- Servers in Mexico, the US, and other countries around the world
- Military-grade encryption standards
- 100% no logs
- 7000+ servers
- 89 countries
- 14-45-day refund
- 24-hour free trial
CyberGhost VPN is a Roman-based provider with over 7000 servers in 112 locations. It’s on the list of VPN providers that don’t keep logs.
In Mexico only, it has placed 29 servers for convenient and buffering-free streaming local channels outside the country.
CyberGhost VPN plans and prices
|1 month||1 year||2 years||3 years|
- Protection of 7 devices per account
- Live chat support is available 24/7
- Low cost for long-term plans
- 13000+ servers
- 74 countries
- 30-day refund
- No free trial
Private Internet Access VPN or simply PIA is the provider that constantly works on the development of its app. Its server park has reached unbelievable results – close to 14000 units.
The provider accepts all kinds of payment for your convenience. Besides, it offers dedicated servers.
PIA plans and prices
|1 month||1 year||2 years|
- Guaranteed no-logs policy
- The provider is based in the USA
- Diverse protocols (L2TP/IPsec, OpenVPN, PPTP)
I know that not every internet user can afford to pay for a VPN. Some users just show a preference for cheap VPN providers or the ones that offer a period of a free trial.
Nevertheless, my readers ask me to highlight free Virtual Private Networks as well.
Ok, no problem!
Attention: But be on about the fact that they cannot be as good as the paid ones for one simple reason – they are free. That’s why they are often restricted in features, servers, speed, traffic, bandwidth, and whatnot.
The ProtonVPN company cares about its users and therefore offers a free plan. Subscribing to it, you’ll get access to servers in 3 countries on only 1 device.
The speed is average for this plan, enough for watching a movie online. A big plus is the absence of ads.
Windscribe A Plan is absolutely free for its users. If you decide to use it, you’ll get access to servers located in 10 countries. Also, your monthly traffic will be restricted to 10 GB.
Additionally, any user can pay $1 for location (extra).
Hide.me is another premium VPN with a free package for those who can’t or don’t want to pay now.
This time, the diversity of locations is restricted to 5. But you are to know that it’s not the best VPN for streaming. If you cannot pay for the service but want to access Amazon Prime, for example, it’s better to make use of VPNs with a free trial period.
Free HotSpot Shield
One more free package is offered by HotspotShield. It provides 500 MB of traffic daily.
But as for locations, you’ll get access to only 1 – in the United States. Speed is also not its strong side.
The biggest drawback of the TunnelBear free plan is the monthly traffic limit – 500 MB only. But you can get 1 GB more by tweeting about the service through your Twitter account.
At the same time, the provider doesn’t restrict users in servers.
Although Mexico is not on the list of countries where access to Netflix is impossible, still US Netflix differs a lot from Mexico Netflix.
Nevertheless, it’s possible to get access to the US Netflix library being in Mexico.
Here’s what to do:
The IP address is to be substituted with an American one. It serves to see the content available for the country which IP one uses.
You won’t have to create a new Netflix account using an American email or something like this. The only thing you need is a US IP address.
Make use of VPN services to change your IP. Connecting to one of the VPN servers, IP is shifted by one belonging to a VPN provider. Netflix system does NOT manage to identify your real IP address, as it is encrypted by VPN software.
With a VPN account in Mexico, one gets…
… access to the blocked content inside the country (blogs, crime, and corruption posts).
… privacy while using the Internet and exchanging data online (21 cases of activists monitoring were corroborated in August 2017).
… access to the content that undergoes filtering (5 requests to remove Twitter posts were registered).
… anonymity (VPN masks users’ IP addresses so that it becomes almost impossible to identify them).
If your current location is Mexico and want to access restricted content for this country, you’ll have to follow several simple steps:
- Subscribe to a reliable VPN (I recommend to use the one from the list).
- Download and set up the VPN on a device you’re going to use.
- Log in.
- Connect to the server located in the country content of which you’d like to access.
- Open the target site or service and enjoy it!
It’s definitely possible if you use a trustworthy VPN app. Only reliable VPNs can hide IP without being detected by Telmex. You’ll have to choose and connect to a server located in Mexico, and Telmex will be unblocked from any part of the world.
Of course, it is. But you should remember that VPNs cannot be used for illegal online activity.