Best VPN Providers for Kenya in 2021 [August Update]
In 2018 the government of Kenya passed the law that makes people who distributed ‘fake information’ were fined ($50 000). Even prison terms of up to 2 years became possible. But the term ‘fake information’ is too sketchy.
The activity of vloggers is also restricted. One is to register this activity and pay for each video posted on the Internet.
A good solution for the local residents is VPN software. It serves to hide your activity from the ISP and other interested parties.
Don’t know what to choose?
I’ll help you to know about:
- VPNs that are not risky to use in Kenya
- Options of free VPNs
- Details about Kenyan censorship
- The reasons to use a VPN app in this country
- ExpressVPN: It will provide you with quality service, 5 simultaneous connections, a great server network, and 5 tunneling protocols.
- NordVPN: It supplies its subscribers with the richest server park – over 5000 servers are at disposal of NordVPN subscribers.
- Surfshark: It offers robust and secure protocols at an affordable price combined with top-notch functions.
- PIA: It accepts cryptocurrency as a payment for anonymity and better security.
- CyberGhost VPN: It is fantastic when a person needs a VPN provider that would protect the whole family (even a big one), as it allows 7 connections per 1 account.
- ProtonVPN: One of the fastest VPN providers with a free plan without time limits.
- Windscribe: A plan with servers in 10 locations and a monthly traffic limit of 10GB.
- Hide.me: A reliable tool to go round Kenyan restrictions without paying a cent.
- HotspotShield: It’s not a 100% free VPN but it offers its service for free.
- TunnelBear: It has a free package with serious restrictions in traffic.
Recommendation: Study the brief reviews in this article to find the VPN that would meet all your requirements. Remember your choice depends mainly on what you are going to do on the Internet (stream restricted services like Netflix, download torrent, or hide your online traces).
The number of Internet users in Kenya escalated in 2015 a lot and reached its peak by the end of 2017. According to “Internet World Stats”, Internet penetration in Kenya was 89.4%. As for now, this figure is 87.2%. The country has the second-highest speed level in Africa.
Although the picture may seem not as bad as in Mali, lack of infrastructure, high costs, and low purchasing power hamper connectivity for many Kenyan citizens.
When traveling to the country or while living in Kenya, your network needs additional protection. Of all the possible defensive outputs of today’s market, the most effective is considered to be a VPN for Kenya.
The Security Laws Amendment Act makes the Internet in Kenya highly restricted. Moreover, the residents of this African country undergo monitoring.
In such a way, from the perspective of the Security Laws Amendment Act accepted in 2014, it is strictly prohibited to cover and broadcast:
- video or photo materials that contain images of dead or injured people;
- materials that serve to undermine the political laws of the country and national security;
- content that promotes homosexuality;
- ideas or events that contradict the culture and moral values of Kenya;
- critics towards government officials.
Of course, it’s possible to enlist dozens of reasons to use a VPN. But here I mention the most common ones for an average internet user.
Kenya was ranked 69th out of 127 countries to be vulnerable to cyberattacks. Thus, the residents of Kenya suffered from well-known WannaCry ransomware, when the victims had to pay about $300 to unlock the data stored on infected devices.
Besides, 19 companies located in Kenya underwent this cyberattack, which caused serious losses.
⇒ Content blocking
Although it is stated that there is no censorship in the country, still the issues of the elections of 2017 did NOT prove it. Luckily for Kenyan inhabitants, social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, and websites like LinkedIn and YouTube are available in the country.
… the government takes measures to filter the information contained there.
Comparison of VPN services for Kenya
(out of 10)
|Speed, Mbps||Country selection||Number of servers||Price (monthly)|
Best VPNs for Kenya on this list serve to go round restrictions of any kind. Be sure the VPNs with the obfuscation function help you go round restrictions everywhere.
Look through the brief reviews of the apps. If you want to learn details about VPNs, read their full reviews (you’ll find the link to them at the end of each short overview).
- Over 3000 servers
- 94 countries
- 7-day trial on Android
- 30-day money-back guarantee
ExpressVPN is the leader of this rating because it has shown great security and speed test results. Besides, the app can be installed on any platform in seconds.
|1 month||6 months||1 year|
- Diskless servers and the BVI jurisdiction make web surfing safe and secure
- Reliable kill switch on all OSs
- Over 5000 servers
- 50+ countries
- 30-day money-back guaratee
- 7-day trial on Android and iOS
Another trustworthy provider for Kenya is NordVPN. It’s an ever-evolving service with thousands of servers on all 6 continents and advanced security features. No lags while streaming, real IP is reliably masked.
|1 month||6 month||1 year||3 years|
- Dedicated IPs for personal use
- The function of double protection for 100% anonymity
- Over 1700 servers
- 60+ countries
- 7-day trial
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Notwithstanding its low cost, it provides its subscribers with high-level service. No leaks on any device, fast speed, and lots of functions.
Surfshark plans and prices
|1 month||1 year||2 years|
- It possesses all the best functions for a VPN: CleanWeb, kill switch, Whitelister
- Camouflage mode makes netizens 100% anonymous
- Over 2600 servers
- 40+ countries
- 10 simultaneous connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
I advise using it on desktop versions of gadgets, as in this case, it’s more reliable. It has numerous settings to make your device configured for a certain activity.
|1 month||6 months||1 year|
- Although it unblocks numerous services, it’s not the best choice for Netflix and Hulu
- 10 allowed connections per subscription serve to protect the devices of the whole family
- Over 6200 servers
- 80+ countries
- 1-day trial
- Up to 45-day money-back guarantee
CyberGhost VPN is a great service because of specially configured servers for streaming and torrenting. Besides, there are servers that are the most suitable for anonymous web surfing.
CyberGhost VPN prices
|1 month||1 year||2 years||3 years|
- The servers have shown great speed results
- No leaks were observed
Can’t pay for a VPN but need protection in Kenya?
It’s not a problem because you have 3 variants:
It allows us to test a VPN without paying for it for a limited period of time (from 1 to 7 days). But not all VPNs offer a free trial period. Besides, the card is required for some of them.
100% free VPN
Such VPNs don’t have paid plans. They usually exist thanks to the ads shown through their apps. They are often restricted in functions.
Free plan of a premium service
It’s a good alternative to paid services because they have all (or at least some) benefits of paid plans.
For this rating, I’ve chosen the VPNs from the last category – free plans of premium VPN providers, as they have more benefits despite some restrictions.
Warning: After using free plans of paid services, people tend to upgrade to the premium. Free plans have too many restrictions that might become an obstacle on the way to convenient web surfing.
ProtonVPN free package protects any gadget. And lucky we are as it doesn’t have speed or traffic restrictions. However, you can connect to the servers in 3 countries only.
It’s a free plan is restricted in monthly traffic and server locations – 10GB and 10 countries, accordingly.
A free package by Hide.me has also limits for monthly traffic – 10GB. Because of relatively slow speed, it’s not the best choice for torrenting or streaming.
With its 2Mbps speed servers and 500MB daily traffic, you can easily unblock any app to read the news, share photos, or send a message.
If 500MB of monthly traffic is ok for you, TunnelBear is a good service with diverse server locations and user-friendly applications.
❓ Is it necessary to use a VPN in Kenya?
Of course, if a person is not interested in secure data exchanging, safe web browsing, and lack of monitoring on the part of third parties, it is unnecessary to use a VPN in Kenya.
If, however, an individual wants…
… to be the only owner of his/her data…
… to forget about continual restrictions and censorship…
… to get access to the blocked services…
… to surf the Internet securely…
… to be anonymous while conducting some kinds of online activities…
… a VPN for Kenya is a must!
? How does the best VPN for Kenya work?
A high-quality and no-logs VPN for Kenya hides your true IP. You are given a list of VPN server locations in different countries. You can choose any of the offered variants.
While selecting one of the servers your address is changed into one of the servers’.
Thus you can access the network of any country you choose while accessing some geo-restricted content.
What is even more prominent for your online activities is that all your traffic becomes encrypted. The matter is that the best VPN for Kenya creates secure tunneling passing through which all your vulnerable data turns to be locked and unattainable for any interference.
? What does the best VPN for Kenya do?
Restrictions bypassing ✔
Now when you know about the possible restrictions and content filtering in Kenya, it becomes evident that VPN is a must. Otherwise, a person will be deprived of an opportunity to get access to the banned content. For example, some news posts may be unavailable on Twitter.
Identity masking ✔
As you already know, having connected to one of the VPN servers, a real IP of a VPN subscriber is changed into an IP of a server used. In case a person has strong views on security issues, a no-logs VPN for Kenya will be chosen. And as a result, there will be no way to identify a user connected to the VPN server.
Safe data exchanging ✔
Due to reliable encryption protocols used by VPN services, all users’ traffic including data sent and received, files up- and downloaded and browsing history will be ciphered and thus unavailable for third parties.