How to change TikTok region in 2023
TikTok is a short-form video platform best known for user-generated viral trends, pranks, skits, commentary, dancing, and entertainment in general. It hasn’t stopped gaining traction since its launch way back in 2018, now boasting over 100 million daily active users.
While it’s more popular with the younger crowd, there’s something on this service for everyone. You’re bound to find content catered even to the most niche interests as the TikTok algorithm learns from your interactions with the app. Then the system displays videos you’re likely to watch till the end.
But because TikTok hails from China, a country well-known for constant user surveillance, the platform is considerably restricted in certain regions. Russia, India, and many others limit access to the app to curb how much time their citizens spend on an ‘untrustworthy’ service.
Those who want to enjoy TikTok to the fullest can easily do so with the help of a Virtual Private Network (VPN). This technology encrypts all internet traffic and assigns you a new IP address, granting access to content usually blocked in your country. Plus, it boosts your device security, and you can never have too much of that.
Shortlist of best TikTok VPN
- NordVPN: the best VPN to change the TikTok region. The available country list includes plenty of those with full TikTok access, you get the in-house NordLynx protocol for excellent speeds and can utilize user-friendly mobile apps with robust features.
- Surfshark VPN: another great TikTok VPN with no device limits, dedicated features for bypassing internet censorship, and GPS spoofing for Android.
- Atlas VPN: a free VPN for TikTok with a malware blocker, a MultiHop+ feature for extra layers of encryption, and unlimited simultaneous connections.
- IPVanish: a TikTok VPN with antivirus software, no virtual servers, and an independently-audited no-logs policy.
- PureVPN: an excellent VPN for TikTok with Wi-Fi security for public networks, anonymous payment options, and broad device compatibility.
How to change TikTok region with a VPN
- Subscribe to the best VPN for TikTok. You'll find NordVPN's extensive network list especially useful for navigating around TikTok restrictions.
- Download the VPN client on your phone. VPN services usually offer dedicated iOS and Android apps, which you can download from the respective App Stores or the provider’s website.
- Connect to a server in a country with full TikTok access. I advise you to pick the ones closest to you, if possible, as it guarantees better connection stability and speeds.
- Perform an IP and DNS leak test. If even one of them is leaking, your TikTok location change efforts will go to waste.
- Open TikTok and enjoy fresh content
Why do you need a VPN for TikTok?
TikTok’s explosive presence hasn’t gone unnoticed by concerned officials. The service has been under intense scrutiny by various governments worldwide simply because ByteDance, a Chinese company, owns it.
Many harbor user surveillance suspicions, and these, sadly, come with good reason. China hasn’t exactly built a reputation as a privacy-respecting country. As a result, some regions ended up limiting access to TikTok or, in the case of India, banning the whole platform.
If you live in such a place and want to break free from these restrictions, utilizing a top-notch VPN is in your best interest. Connecting to another country will grant you its IP address – and once TikTok’s system recognizes that you ‘reside’ in the assigned region, it will change your location accordingly.
I also can’t go without mentioning that VPNs benefit all internet activities. Whether accessing other blocked platforms, streaming, torrenting, or even online gaming, this technology ensures you’re safe and anonymous the entire time you’re connected.
Best VPN to change TikTok location: detailed list
The best VPNs on this list include several handy aspects, perfect for unlocking TikTok’s full potential. These are extensive server networks, excellent speeds even if you’re connecting from further away, and tools for quick & easy restriction circumvention.
- 5400+ servers in 60+ countries
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- Obfuscated servers to avoid VPN detection
- NordLynx tunneling protocol fro best speeds
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Doesn't have a router app
- Only 6 simultaneous connections
Change your TikTok region at any time with NordVPN. This service can unlock any geo-blocked service or website in just a few clicks, and you get to do it safely under wraps with all the nifty security features. I’m talking about AES-256 encryption, IP, DNS, and WebRTC leak protection, and a kill switch.
You won’t be disappointed when it comes to speed since NordLynx, one of the fastest tunneling protocols, is available on the roster. The country list is also expansive, letting you enjoy region-specific TikTok content from all continents. And you’ll be able to access the platform even if you live in internet-restrictive countries by utilizing obfuscated servers.
Regarding NordVPN’s toolkit, there’s much to gain from it. Threat Protection ensures no malware makes your mobile device its new home, while Double VPN providers twice the encryption for an extra layer of anonymity.
I’m sure most users will enjoy this VPN’s versatility. It has dedicated P2P servers for torrenting enthusiasts and never runs into issues when switching to foreign streaming platform libraries. Even online gamers will benefit from enhanced security in terms of DDoS prevention.Read our full NordVPN review here
- 3200+ servers in 100+ countries
- 100% RAM-only server fleet
- No device limit
- Internet-censorship bypassing tools
- Software Defined Networking for better stability and speeds
- 30-day money-bak guarantee
- The no-logs policy hasn't been audited
- Some additional features are paywalled
Surfshark VPN is an excellent TikTok VPN with some of the finest privacy-ensuring features. It’s jam-packed both with essential VPN tools and a few extras suitable not just for this entertainment platform. So, what else is good about it?
For starters, you’ll never have to wait for your videos to load with the next-gen WireGuard protocol. Then there’s the Nexus upgrade which introduced Software Defined Networking. It routes all VPN traffic through one extensive network instead of separate servers, significantly increasing connection stability and performance.
The tool list isn’t less impressive either:
- CleanWeb blocks intrusive ads, trackers, and malicious software
- MultiHop doubles the encryption by routing your connection through two servers in different countries
- Camouflage and NoBorders modes break through internet censorship and hide traces of VPN usage
- GPS spoofing (Android only) masks your GPS location with another one
Those wanting to expand their Netflix, Disney+, and Amazon Prime Video streaming libraries only need to pick another region, and voila. And if P2P file-sharing is more up your alley, then do so without annoying limitations on all servers.
Read our full Surfshark VPN review here
3. Atlas VPN
- 750+ servers in 37+ countries
- Split tunneling for routing VPNS traffic via selected apps
- WireGuard for extra-fast speeds
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Torrenting enabled on all servers
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Cannot configure it on a router
Save some money with one of the cheapest VPNs out there – Atlas VPN. With this provider, you’ll be able to change your TikTok region instantly from anywhere in the world. Plus, this service is oriented toward mobile users, so navigating Android and iPhone apps will be straightforward.
There are plenty of servers and country locations in Atlas VPN to get what you want from TikTok. The platform in question (and any kind of video service) is bound to run as smooth as butter. You just have to pick WireGuard from the available tunneling protocols.
Cyber threat wary folk can rest easier with SafeBrowse, while those who need to bypass censorship will find the MultiHop+ feature to be just what they need. Utmost anonymity seekers aren’t left out either – connecting to a SafeSwap server will periodically change your IP address without dropping the VPN connection.
Now, Atlas VPN can also open the doors to other entertainment venues. You can access multiple foreign content libraries on popular streaming platforms. And torrenting is enabled on all servers, so you can download and upload files at the best speeds possible.Read our full Atlas VPN review here
- 2000+ servers in 50+ countries
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- VIPRE antivirus for real-time protections
- WireGuard tunneling protocol
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Can't pay for the service anonymously
If security is your top priority, then give IPVanish a go. Besides the essentials you’d expect from any premium TikTok VPN, this provider also includes VIPRE antivirus for real-time protection. The fact its zero-logs policy is tested and verified significantly adds to the service’s reliability.
The server network scope is nothing to scoff at, granting you access to TikTok even in countries where it’s banned. You don’t have to worry about potential hardware tampering either. IPVanish owns everything, so no unauthorized people can even get close to it.
Network-level restrictions and overall VPN blocks won’t pose an issue with this provider. And you can thank the OpenVPN Scramble feature for that. It masks all traces of VPN usage from Deep Packet Inspection, which is usually used to suss out and block this technology.
In terms of versatility, IPVanish has its ups and downs. You’re free to torrent all you want on any server, and getting your hands on US and UK streaming libraries is quite easy. Whether it’s changing your TikTok region or browsing the web, it’s a great service.
Read our full IPVanish review here
- 6500+ servers in 78+ countries
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- WireGuard for extra-fast speeds
- Enhanced Wi-Fi security
- 31-day money-back guarantee
- Additional features cost extra
Constantly scrolling TikTok on the go? Snatch a PureVPN subscription for that much-needed public network security boost. Secure Wi-fi, encryption, a kill switch, and leak protection ensure you’re undiscoverable wherever you are.
This is the service for you if you’re looking for an almost all-encompassing server network. Even if more countries restrict TikTok availability, you’ll never run out of regions to connect to circumvent the blocks. And the good ‘ol WireGuard tunneling protocol has everything covered performance-wise.
Want to use PureVPN on more than just your phone? You’re in luck because this provider offers broad device compatibility, ranging from major platforms to Android TV, Amazon Fire Stick, Chromebook, and more. The 10 devices per account limit won’t be enough to secure them all, but this can be fixed by manually setting up the VPN on your router.
If you prioritize 4K-quality streaming, freely utilize servers optimized just for that. Whether it’s a region-based library or a country-locked service, PureVPN will get you access to it. P2P won’t be an issue either – torrenting is enabled in countries that allow it.
Read our full PureVPN review here
How I tested and selected TikTok VPN
Not all VPNs are created equal, and some work great with TikTok while others fall frustratingly short. Finding the right providers takes time, but it’s doable if you know what to look for. If you want to do your own research, you can follow the same criteria I did:
- Extensive server network. You won’t get much variety content-wise if all you can connect to is mainly located in the US. That’s why the VPN for TikTok has to have plenty of servers in many regions (on all continents, preferably).
- Latest tunneling protocols. Naturally, that extra layer of encryption slows down your speeds, and it can range from barely noticeable to unbearable lag depending on the protocol. It’s best to look for the latest protocols, like WireGuard, to ensure low latency and quick video loading times.
- Solid security. Having the right countries at your grasp is only one side of the whole geo-block bypassing business. The other is utilizing the right tools meant to keep your actual location and identity hidden – AES-256 encryption, a kill switch, and IP and DNS leak protection.
- Functionality. Chances are TikTok isn’t your only entertainment source. And for this reason, look into whether the provider can access foreign streaming platform libraries, their stance on torrenting, suitability for online gaming, etc.
- Price-to-feature ratio. Never pay more than you have to, especially if you’re not getting any extra benefits besides the basic VPN toolkit. The average price of premium services ranges from $3 to 45 per month.
How TikTok detects your location
If you ever went abroad and tried using TikTok, I’m sure you noticed how suddenly every video seems to originate from the country you’re visiting. The platform detects user location based on several factors:
- IP address – a string of numbers assigned to devices connected to the same network to differentiate them on the internet. They contain location information.
- SIM card – identifies the owner (you) and the specific mobile network it belongs to. Mobile service providers that issue these usually operate in one country, so TikTok can also use this to clock where you are.
- Device GPS – almost every mobile device has a GPS chip inside, which uses radio waves between satellites to triangulate your position
Combine all these, and it’s pretty easy for the system to track your movements and flood the For You page with relevant content. But traveling to another country whenever you want something new isn’t exactly an option, is it? Thankfully, there are more convenient workarounds for changing your TikTok region.
Why do you need to change TikTok region?
Virtually relocating to another location comes with its perks, especially on a platform like TikTok:
- Global content. As mentioned previously, some countries severely limit TikTok access and what kind of videos you can see on it. It’s hard to find people who are happy about getting local content only, ever more so when there are tons of funny and interesting foreign content creators. A VPN will grant you another IP address so that you can watch anything you want regardless of location.
- Total privacy. Those fears about China monitoring you via TikTok? Well, they’re well-founded since the app tracks your viewing habits and has access to sensitive information stored on your phone if you’ve granted it all possible permissions. You can shield yourself from that by encrypting all internet traffic, which is what VPNs do.
- Better audience reach. Sometimes the local audience just isn’t vibing with the content you produce, and that’s okay. But it doesn’t mean that absolutely no one would be interested in your videos. Breaking through country barriers might just help you get better exposure and the viewers you deserve.
Encryption, alongside a simple IP address change, makes a world of difference. And VPNs are here to do just that – secure the device and broaden your horizons.
Where is TikTok banned
TikTok has a tumultuous relationship with various governments worldwide, to say the least. Some don’t like the fact the app originates from China; others are against content posted on it, citing religious or moral reasons. So, let’s see what’s been happening with this platform.
- China - Chinese citizens can only use the local version, Douyin. Done to limit their exposure to foreign content
- India - banned since 2020 due to data security threats and ties to China
- Bangladesh - restricted because of inappropriate content
- Indonesia - restricted because of inappropriate content
Banned in the past
- Armenia - banned to prevent provocations during the 2020 Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- Azerbaijan - banned to prevent provocations during the 2020 Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- Pakistan - banned because of inappropriate content
TikTok restricts usage itself
- Russia - due to ongoing conflicts in Ukraine and the new Fake News law, TikTok doesn't allow Russian users to post new videos onto the platform
- Hong Kong - following China's new security laws, TikTok has pulled its service from the city entirely
If you happen to live in the regions listed here, your best option is to utilize a TikTok VPN to bypass these restrictions.
How to change TikTok location on different devices
TikTok is available on mobiles and desktops. The process differs a bit with every platform, but it’s fairly quick and easy if you know what you’re doing. Getting the appropriate VPN client for your device will make everything go smoothly, so don’t forget to check whether the provider has a dedicated app for it.
Change TikTok location on Android
- Subscribe to an Android-compatible VPN. NordVPN offers user-friendly mobile applications that are very easy to use.
- Download the VPN client from the Google Play Store
- Log in to your VPN account once the setup is complete
- Connect to a server in any country you want
- Enjoy new, regional TikTok content!
Change TikTok location on iOS
- Pick an iOS-compatible VPN. If you’re looking for a sleek design and full functionality, you can’t go wrong with NordVPN.
- Get the dedicated app from the Apple App Store
- Open the client and enter your VPN account credentials
- Select a server located in a region you’re interested in
- Discover new TikTok content creators!
Change TikTok location on desktop
- Get a VPN that works well on Windows and Mac. NordVPN is an excellent choice for both.
- Download the appropriate VPN app for your system from the provider’s website
- Once the installation is finished, log into your VPN account
- Pick any server you want and press Connect
- Scroll down a fresh and exciting For You page!
How to change TikTok region without a VPN
Now, utilizing a VPN isn’t the only way you can go about this. The methods I provide below will also change what you see on your TikTok feed for a more varied viewing experience.
Add another language on TikTok
TikTok’s system doesn’t tend to show videos in languages not native to your country. But if you add a couple in the app’s language settings menu, videos in them will appear in the feed.
- Open TikTok and click on Profile at the bottom of the screen
- Then press the three lines on the right at the top of the screen. A menu will pop up – press Settings and privacy.
- Select Content preferences > Video languages > Add language
- Pick as many languages as you want and click Done
Follow more foreign content creators
The kind of videos you get depends on what you watch the most, what people you follow, and who you choose to block. That’s why everyone who uses TikTok gets an individual experience catered just for them. And you can take advantage of that.
You can look for creators through the Search option – just type in some keywords, like your hobbies, country names, trending hashtags, and you’re bound to find something new. The Discover tab also shows you fresh content and potentially follow-worthy creators.
Once you see something you like, comment on it, and follow the person. Slowly, TikTok’s algorithm will recognize this shift in interest and give you videos reflecting that.
Buy a foreign SIM card
You’ll have to disable the GPS in your phone’s settings for this to work. As I’ve mentioned before, TikTok detects your location via your SIM card. Changing it to an international foreign one will also shift the region on the video platform.
- Buy an international SIM card
- Put the card into your phone’s SIM slot
- FOR ANDROID: delete TikTok’s app data and cache
- FOR IOS: delete TikTok and reinstall it
- Open TikTok, and that’s it – now you’ll get more foreign content
Can't change TikTok location with a VPN: solutions
So, you’ve tried absolutely everything, the VPN is up and running, but TikTok is stubborn and still showing local content you’ve grown tired of seeing at this point. Take a deep breath, count to ten, and do some troubleshooting instead.
Here’s what might be happening and what you can do about it:
- Wrong country. You are likely connected to a server in a country that has banned TikTok (like India) or severely restricted it. Rookie mistake, but it happens, and it’s totally okay – just pick another region.
- IP or DNS leaks. If one, the other, or both are visible, then TikTok definitely knows your actual location. Perform a leak test and head to your VPN’s settings to see whether all necessary security features are turned on.
- Browser cookies. The web cookies stored in your phone’s cache include region information, which can accidentally be sabotaging your efforts. Go to your browser’s settings, and clear your browsing history and website data.
- GPS location. GPS chips work separately from the system and accurately show where you are physically regardless of a VPN masking your IP address. And the thing is that if your GPS location and IP address don’t match, TikTok won’t show you what you want to see. Disable GPS tracking in your phone’s settings or enable GPS spoofing if there’s an option for it.
- VPN can’t bypass geo-blocks. Some services aren’t cut out for the job and are very lackluster when accessing region-locked content. If this is the case, I suggest trying out the top TikTok VPNs that can change your location in a few clicks.
Free VPN to change TikTok location
The thing with free VPNs is that most of them can’t deliver on their promises. Providers boldly claim how they boost your protection tenfold and can get you access to all kinds of blocked content. But when it’s time to go, suddenly nothing loads, and your IP address is leaking all over the place.
Other drawbacks include but are not limited to:
- Dangerous clients. There have been numerous incidents of free services coming bundled up with malicious software. Malware, adware, spyware, keyloggers, you name it, they have it. It puts your overall device security at risk, not to mention how they wreck hardware in the long run.
- Severe restrictions. You’ll be lucky if the free TikTok VPN offers servers someplace else besides good ‘ol USA. Even then, the viewing experience will be less than subpar due to all that buffering. Thank the ridiculous speed caps for that.
No matter how you look at it, premium is the way to go. And there’s a neat workaround if you still don’t want to pay. My answer – free VPN trials. Time limits are a nuisance, but at least you’re getting access to the full server list and tool suite. Once one trial ends, simply nab another from a different provider.
If you’re willing to spend some time curating your feed, TikTok is a pretty entertaining platform you can easily sink dozens of hours into. Even if you have really obscure interests, there is a creator out there producing videos centered around it.
Still, content restrictions understandably ruin the whole experience. And what about people who live in countries where it’s banned altogether? Changing the TikTok region is the only option.
Trick TikTok location quickly with the best VPNs for it. NordVPN and other suitable providers have the right tools to mask your online identity and uphold this disguise as long as you’re connected. Plus, they encrypt all internet traffic, making you secure and anonymous in the process.
Maybe you know other ways to change the region on TikTok? Please share them if you do, it’s always nice to have some alternatives that actually work.
You may also like to read:
Watch YouTube TV from anywhere
How to get unbanned from Omegle
How to change location on Bumble
Does a VPN work on TikTok?
Yes, VPNs work with TikTok and will effectively change your region. Using such technology doesn’t go against the platform’s Terms of Service, so your account won’t be suspended or anything like that. Plus, a VPN boosts your online privacy and is recommended for all internet activities.
How do I get TikTok VPN?
First, you pick one of the best VPNs for TikTok. Then, you go to the provider’s website and get the appropriate app for your operating system. Once the installation is complete, log into your VPN account, connect to another country, and that’s it.
Is NordVPN good for TikTok?
Yes, NordVPN is excellent for TikTok. It has a robust tool package, no issues circumventing geo-blocks, and includes an extensive server list with suitable connections on all continents.
How do I change my TikTok region?
You can easily change your TikTok location with a VPN. Simply download the VPN app, connect to another country, and open TikTok. The system will detect your new region and show videos relevant to it.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked