BEST VPNS FOR SOUTH KOREA
Twitter account of the government critic, who criticized the president of his country in a social network, was blocked. The activist, who left an uncomplimentary comment regarding the local authorities, was accused of libel. And the judge, who wrote that the president put pressure upon the internet users, was discharged.
Such suppression of freedom is rife in China, but not in one of the most democratic countries of the world – South Korea.
- ExpressVPN: 24/7 support service, fast servers in 94 countries, no logs.
- NordVPN: 30-day money-back guarantee, user-friendly apps.
- Surfshark: Kill switch, unlimited number of servers, no-logging policy.
- CyberGhost VPN: 5944 servers in more than 90 countries, fast connections.
- Private Internet Access: 10 simultaneous connections, robust protocols, no-logging policy.
South Korea, with its trendy K-pop videos and cool Samsung phones, is emerging as a vibrant and developed economy despite the political troubles with its Northern brother. The country boasts some of the fastest internet connection speeds in the developed world. However, these impressive broadband packages are also highly censored.
In 2013, Freedom House, a censorship advocacy group, ranked South Korea as “partly free” when it comes to internet freedom. South Korea is listed among Russia, Egypt, and Thailand on the list of “Enemies of the Internet” published by Reporters without Borders. According to The Economist, thousands of websites are blocked each year by a government-appointed independent body.
Internet restriction in South Korea
South Korea, like many other countries, regulates internet access to prevent the spread of prostitution and illegal gambling. All pro-North Korea sites, blogs, and social media accounts are blocked, of course.
While this long list of restrictions may make sense on paper, it is not necessarily so when practice. For example, South Koreans cannot access Google Map data for their own country because of a law prohibiting the distribution of maps when the country is at war (South Korea is technically at war with North Korea).
Clearly, this presents serious access issues to South Korean internet users, who may be restricted from visiting seemingly innocuous sites due to vague national security laws.
South Koreans also have little privacy online, as government spies are constantly monitoring comments and posts for North Korean sympathizers. South Korean users can bypass these unfair rules by purchasing one of the following VPNs:
Internet censorship in South Korea
The country is a world leader on the Internet and the broadband network, but South Korean residents don’t have access to the free and unstrained Internet. The government of South Korea regulates the content on the Internet and censors the websites dedicated to the elections, North Korea, and the sites the Korean government considers to be subversive and harmful for the society.
According to the investigations of “Freedom House”, the online freedom in South Korea score is 35. Thus, the websites that contain materials relating to politics are blocked.
What about the bloggers?
The year of 2007 became crucial for many bloggers, as many of them were censored and arrested. Their posts on the Internet were deleted by the police. In this connection, big internet platforms required the identity verification of their users one year later.
The websites offering gambling games and South Korean adult content were banned. In case a resident of South Korea made attempts to access such websites, he/she was redirected to the page with the warning “This website is blocked according to the governmental regulation”.
What do VPNs give to the Koreans?
- Free access to the services on the Internet is guaranteed. Stream any content being in South Korea (best Korean porn websites, music, and movies will not be blocked).
- Censorship will not restrict the Koreans in expressing their thoughts on social networks.
- Monitoring will not be discussed in your family, as with the best South Korean VPN provider it is simply impossible.
- VPN for Korean games is the best way to play any computer game you like. Just find an ideal VPN provider and subscribe to it without delay.
- Protection against hackers for both average netizens and state agencies (during the first half of 2017, the Foreign Ministery of Korea underwent cyber attacks 8200+ times).
Michael Breen wrote in his book, that not long ago, the role of the country was extremely important for the welfare of the nation, as it was like a benevolent parent for the Koreans. But nowadays, this parent became too strict. A lot of services and the websites on the World Wide Web are forbidden for the residents of this Asian country.
Having subscribed for one of the best VPN services for South Korea, it is possible to access any content on the Internet without limits or punishment.
With a VPN Korean citizens will be allowed to stream video on the Internet, read news, and be unnoticed by the ISP.